Quantcast

Gas fire pilot light problems!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Richard S

Established Member
Reaction score
Help!

We have a gas fired solid fuel stove and the pilot light will not stay lit? I assumed it would be the thermocouple so ordered a new one and fitted it last night but alas still no worky. That really is the sum of my knowledge here any ideas from the gathered wisdom before I call in the professionals?

Thanks in advance

Shivvery in Northampton!

DIY Stew

Established Member
Reaction score
Richard

I may be a million miles wrong here but to work on gas equipment I believe you have to be Gas Safe.

I would recommend you call in someone who is Gas Safe to carry out repairs.

Stew

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
Is the piolt tube clear from debris, Muck in the tube can prevent enough gas getting through to establish a strong enough pilot to keep the valve (via the thermocouple) open.

Secondly, thermocouples are quiet delicate & are easily damaged, they should not be bent at sharp angles, you also need to check you have a good connection between the gas valve & the end of the thermocouple.

& lastly, it`s not unknown for a new thermocouple to be faulty, you can check them with a multimeter.

HTH

flying haggis

Established Member
Reaction score
DIY Stew":1fruogzh said:
Richard

I may be a million miles wrong here but to work on gas equipment I believe you have to be Gas Safe.

I would recommend you call in someone who is Gas Safe to carry out repairs.

Stew

AFAIK you have to be registered to do work on other peoples gas appliances ie get paid but you can work on your own appliances. I have also replaced thermocouples on stuff.

Richard S

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replays, Doug, sorry to sound thick but what am I looking for with the multi meter, continuity when cold I would assume?
Thanks again

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
Richard, google "testing a thermocouple" it brings up the right info & saves a lot of typing.