Garden Structures

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adzeman

Established Member
Reaction score
I was very pleased with myself this week when we received the latest Tesco catalogue and there were a number of timber garden items that I had recently made.

Tesco+cold+frame.jpg

This is my attempt made from left over timbers so I had only the glass to purchase at £20.00

DSCN4388.JPG

And three planters which I made for one of my daughters to which the timber per planter cme to £43.00. She had bought one using her Nectar Points whivh cost her £40.00

Power+tool+shelf+004.JPG

and the Tesco product.

Tesco+planters.jpg

Not for one minute am I suggesting the Tesco items are over priced because I dont think they are but it shows what you can save if you have the means.

The cold frame for instance, if I was purchasing the timber from new it would have been around a £100.00 but I was able to make the seed boxes out of the short ends.

DSCN4709.JPG

Garden structures can be as interesting as you wish to make them. Furniture, & wooden toys are not the only things that come out of my shop. Here is a pic of an arbor.

Lee

arbor2.jpg

adzeman":221hcia1 said:
N........... Have you done other garden projects?
Well I've made a couple recently.

The first is a small planter-wheelbarrow in oak. (about 600mm overall length)
smallwheelbarrow.jpg

and the second is a straightforward planter trough in iroko. (about 900mm in width)
planter.jpg

Both were made from leftover timber from bigger jobs and both are waiting for my wife to add the plants :)

Are like both these projects which sort of over shadow what I have done. I built the cold frame out of nessessity as a home for the seedlings I have grown and the planters were a demand from my daughter. I dont know which I like the best the barrow or traditional planter. At the moment I have three projects on the go one, a tool cabinet is affecting progress on the other two.

Adzeman: So many people think that their woodworking hobby must turn out furniture & the point of my post was that much pleasure & sense of accomplishment can be derived using construction type lumber in building items for the garden. I also built an arbor leading to our front door to indicate to visitors that they are welcome & important. I also built a garden bench to fit in a shady spot for relaxation & comfort.

Lee

GardenBench.jpg

BeverageHolder.jpg

arbor.jpg

I could not agree more with your comments. On Fathers day this year I was taken by one of my daughters to visit the secret gardens of Petworth in West Sussex. Petworth is an ancient town on a Medeval layout and most gardens have high stone walls (well above current building regs) with large wrought iron gate or high pannelled hardwood gates at the entrances. 16 gardens were open for viewing. One was charged £5.00 to view the lot the funds going to the Red Cross. The garden structures blew my mind. Most of the gardens had been professionally landscaped there is big money in Petworth, Bankers, Film & TV producers etc but there was one garden belonging to a couple of retired architects The husband was in his 90's and partialy sighted his wife was younger (never suggest a womens age) and designed the garden and its structures. The structures were built in oak to a Gothic style the most impressive being an octaganal Gazebo and a compost structure there was no way this could be called a compost bin. The best composter this side of the Ponderosa. There was a small workshop a lathe being the only machine I could see the rest were hand tools. The oak had weathered giving it an aged look. There was a garden No 10 that had one an award designed and built by an award winning Landscape designer but I liked the garden No 2 the best. Being a suprise visit I did not have my camera with me but if the open day is available next year I will certainly make a record of the event.

img002.jpg

img004.jpg

Back