Garden bench repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manny

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a garden bench that requires some attention the bench is left out all year round.

I think it's oak and my question is will american oak be good/durable enough or should I use english oak - I wasn't going to finish/treat it. American oak is available planed from a local timber merchant and as I don't currently own a planer this would be the easiest option. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Okay, I'll bite. I've been too busy to follow the forum these last weeks, but I have to ask: What is the difference between what you are calling "American Oak" and "English Oak"? I'm no tree expert, by any stretch, but there are at least 4 varieties of oak that grow on my property in the central United States. Red Oak, Post Oak, Blackjack, and White Oak are the "common names" for them. They have quite different properties, but even at a glance, the wood from each is easily identifiable as being "oak" Is there only one variety in the UK?

jakethebuilder":27zs36eo said:
Okay, I'll bite. I've been too busy to follow the forum these last weeks, but I have to ask: What is the difference between what you are calling "American Oak" and "English Oak"? I'm no tree expert, by any stretch, but there are at least 4 varieties of oak that grow on my property in the central United States. Red Oak, Post Oak, Blackjack, and White Oak are the "common names" for them. They have quite different properties, but even at a glance, the wood from each is easily identifiable as being "oak" Is there only one variety in the UK?

This should clear it up for you a bit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_robur

I think that when we (over here) say American Oak, we mean White Oak (Q. Alba) and English (Q. Robur) though we have several different Oaks here too.

First thing is are you sure the bench is Oak. I repaired one of my benches over twenty years ago. The bench was Teak and as I could not afford to replace like with like I used English Oak. [went the same grey colour as original within the year] I was directed away from American Oak as Red is not suitable to be left outdoors all year, and although White is fine outside it would not last as long as English. The European Oak I was also offered was peachy in colour and again I was told would not last a long as English. Today I have found my usual supplier will not guarantee Oak as being English, but only as European.
The front rail that I replaced all those years ago finally rotted out on one of the joints last year, so I have made the repair again, but this time in Iroko. I am 51 years old and I would imagine and hope the "new" timber will see me out.

Colin

Thanks very much for the replies.

I thought it might be oak but I'm not sure it could well be something else, does Iroko fade back to a light grey colour like oak ?

I checked out SL Hardwoods and they supply European oak and plane it to what I want but perhaps I should look Iroko if it's more durable.

I'm replacing the slats (that are sat on) so end grain will not be exposed. The easiest option for me is to get some american white oak which I can buy off the shelf locally (and maybe as they are just the slats that may do)

Here is a pic

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 101
If I read it correctly the slats slot into those mortises?
A more weather resistant design would be to place them on top of the support, secured by plugged SS screws?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355304775.970069.jpg

Sorry don't have a detailed photo on my phone.

Rod

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355304775.970069.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355304775.970069.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 119
I'm going to chisel out the bottoms of the old mortices slide in the new slats from underneath and fit supporting battens under the slats.
IMHO it was a bad design the slats are only supported by a few mm in the mortises. (I didn't build this)

I did this to mine, as mentioned screwed in from above and supported by the cross member/stretchers.

309585_169373446489862_1779367310_n.jpg

I used european oak it has similar characteristics to english oak but not the prestige. As for american, it will last, but wont be as golden.

Finished in lots of coats of danish.

Phil

Back