Gaming Woodworkers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluegillUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Might be a bit of a long shot, but have we got any woodworking gamers? Console/PC whatever.

Being of the gaming age, it's what I do when I can't get out to the shed. I get home, have tea, get the kids shipped off to bed, have a catch up with the missus and then lose myself in a game. It's the perfect method of escapism!

Anyone else?

I actually gave up gaming completely, I used to be a big PC gamer, whilst I liked it, it was an addiction, and nowadays there's just no time for it.

thetyreman":f27rds64 said:
I actually gave up gaming completely, I used to be a big PC gamer, whilst I liked it, it was an addiction, and nowadays there's just no time for it.

Fair enough. I get the impression that it's easier to get addicted to PC gaming than it is console gaming. The console gaming community is a good size but it doesn't have that connection that PC gamers seem to. Lots of games with guilds and massive worlds to get lost in.

I think if I ever got in to PC gaming, it would be dangerous. It's easy to get trapped.

I worked for a few games companies back when games were games and goalposts were jumpers smelling of leather on willow and all that jazz :mrgreen: Then t'internet came along and I switched to software development and bought a N64, Xbox, PC, XBox 360... had children so no gaming for several years... and, just this Christmas past, Santa came with an XBox One.

It's changed days now though. I have little interest in online gaming as is the big thing these days. I dabbled with online Counter Strike many years back and quickly thought better of being sworn at by folk a third of my age. Driving games I find are short on enjoyment and lot more about using your brakes (meh!). FPS are ten-a-penny and lack the original fun-to-actually-play feeling Doom had. RTS on consoles are a big nope and I don't have a gaming PC (and don't want another sodding Windows PC in the house to maintain) so they're out as a genre.

GTA5 was a blast (if a bit short) and I'm now left trying to get as many epic runes as I can in Shadow of Mordor... until the next one comes out. Gaming time is limited to when the OH is working late shifts and I'm left babysitting and unable to get to The Shed or have nothing needing sharpening.

I used to play a lot of games (woodworking is my hobby, computer system design my work). I was bought up on RP games, like CIV and later some war role play games. Over the years my willingness to pay for up market PCs reduced, and started getting consoles (WII etc) for the kids. Nowadays, in my late 50s, its more about silly Facebook games, and on windows 10, the MS Solitaire app with its monthly and alternate daily competitions.

I'm clearly loosing it.

The first home PC I had was a generic 386 ???
I seem to remember it had a massive 45k (or was it meg) RAM

I had a great (Nazi) shoot-em up that was freeware (summat...stein)
Things don't appear to have got much better from what I can see

JSW":1g6kkq37 said:
lurker":1g6kkq37 said:

Wolfenstein

Yes thats the one!
Thanks.
Brings back memories of hours of wasted time :roll:
Now I know nowt about computerising, but from then to now programmes have got very memory hungry to a massive degree.

lurker":mjgqdm7i said:
JSW":mjgqdm7i said:
lurker":mjgqdm7i said:

Wolfenstein

Now I know nowt about computerising, but from then to now programmes have got very memory hungry to a massive degree.

Absolutely!

Mostly down to a million different bloated frameworks being used on a single project for "productivity"

Computers are getting more powerful, whilst the software is becoming more and more bloated.

I used to work with games back in the Atari "Pong" through to Williams "Defender" era. Games were my introduction to programming - the first games I worked with were just big PCBs covered in (mainly) 7400 series logic gates, then after a while they started to use microprocessors. Spent a lot of time playing "Breakout" and "Asteroids" in the company games showroom. That was over 30 years ago, and I've never really been interested since.
I did get to hang out with the likes of Nolan Bushnell and Al Alcorn from Atari, though, which was nice.

My first computer was an atari that used cassettes to load the games.
Best game I had was Bounty Bob Strikes back.
It took over 25 minutes to load each time but it was brilliant.
tried to put it on this puter several times but failed miserbly.

Then i had a commodore amiga, half meg memory and the games were super.Should not have sold that.
Wouldnt mind another F 18 interceptor and pinball dreams. tried that recently too. Got pinball dreams up in a window 2" x 2". Another fail.
Now I just play gummy drop on the kindle.

Pretty keen on my ps4. Big fallout fan. Just playing skyrim for the first time, took a while to get into it but love it now. The much respected richardt of this forum but very sadly departed this earth at a very young age was a big skyrim fan as well.

I'm enjoy my online FPS games but rarely get a chance to play them due to my horrific internet speed. So usually look for a quest game with lots to see and do.

Also quite addicted to farming simulator on my phone currently.

And red dead redemption 2 comes out on my brother's birthday! Can't wait!!

Adidat

I still have the pong console with the paddle controllers my dad brought home one day. That, and the ZX81 me and my older sister would spend hours typing in code from magazines only for us to get it wrong and then spend many more hours figuring out why. I don't have the toilet roll dispenser (it performed that role better than printing) for it any more. I followed on to the 48K Spectrum... but that was horrific enough to put me off computers until I was about 20 and needed something to write a wargame on. Cue Dad to the rescue with a limping 386 and a copy of Ami Pro (I think that's what is was called) word processor. Worked a treat back then and probably worked as fast as Word does on a modern PC!

adidat":2w4m4c3k said:
Pretty keen on my ps4. Big fallout fan. Just playing skyrim for the first time, took a while to get into it but love it now. The much respected richardt of this forum but very sadly departed this earth at a very young age was a big skyrim fan as well.

I'm enjoy my online FPS games but rarely get a chance to play them due to my horrific internet speed. So usually look for a quest game with lots to see and do.

Also quite addicted to farming simulator on my phone currently.

And red dead redemption 2 comes out on my brother's birthday! Can't wait!!

Adidat
The internet problem sounds all too familiar!

If you like Skyrim and get the chance, pick up Oblivion, it's kick ass! Also, if you get a chance, get Horizon Zero Dawn, PS4 exclusive currently - probably one of the best games I've played in recent years. Absolutely stunning graphics. Also, Witcher 3!!!

yes witcher 3 is incredible, I am a big fan of the original witcher, but less so witcher 2. Skyrim is great for escaping and relaxation, I find it is like therapy, it reminded me of zelda orcarina of time a bit, just the way you can roam around in the world, I have fond memories of playing an N64 when I was in high school, that might still be my favourite game of all time.

If you want an incredibly silly game, check out goat simulator.

Back