Galbert Caliper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Phil, quite a novel piece of kit, but I can still see a lot of space for error when sizing spindles. You can still go too small because you are watching the gauge reading and not concentration on your work.

When sizing spindles I prefer callipers, open ended spanners, and shop made fixed gauges to size my work. That way I am concentrating on my chisel and work, just waiting for the gauge to slide over the work when sized.

Also when doing stool or chair work you really need to set your tenon gauge to the fostner bit or drill that you use for the mortise, so IMHO I think a fixed gauge would be a lot easier to use. Also similar for sizing in, I would guess the the guy who designed this has set sizes for his chair spindles, so I think the only saving may be the time saved by not having to pick up different gauges.

Will look forward to your review once you get up and running with the new tool.

Tam,

I think I'll use it, as I believe the inventor does, for initial sizing on green wood turnings. When doing legs and stretchers I sometimes find I would need 6 or so calipers - that, or remember to reset when moving from legs to stretchers.:oops:

I too always use a correctly sized open spanner for final sizing of dried tenons and will continue with that.

I'll let you know how it goes,
Phil

Hi ,
I am not sure if this is the way to contact you but I am having troble replying to your post on UKworkshop, I love woodwork but I am a amiture when it comes to computers.
As for the Galber Celiper I would be over the moon to receive it, and will be more than willing to pay the postage and a more for your trouble, please let me know how I would get the money to you?

Mod edit to remove personal data.
As said below one more post and pm,s will become active.

It's a REALLY bad idea to post private information like this on the internet.

Make a few more posts, then you'll be able to use the private message system to contact other participants.

Oops! Sorry, John, I didn't realize you couldn't reply to my private message. Anyway, it is in the mail and should reach you in a week to ten days, according to Canada Post.

Take care
Bob

hi Looking forward to receiving item in post. I will send acheque as soon as I have your details and the cost
Thanks for all the help and info
John

Hi Bob
I have received your package today (Saturday) and have gone straight to my shed to try it out, it works great. I have written out a cheque for you but I cannot post it until Monday so I will go to the post office first thing on Monday.
Thanks again for the calliper and I can assure you that I will get a lot of use from it
Best regards John

Latest posts

Back