G Clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like traditional G cramps as well, but there are many times when you only have one hand, and I can't afford 18" G cramps.
I have a load of 'one-handed' G-clamps (orange) which work really well, BUT there are similar ones in other colours that are rubbish.

For me, clamp pressure is of far less importance (provided I do my job of proper fitting), and convenience becomes paramount. I’m 69 and I have some clamps older than I am (inherited from dear old, long deceased dad). Those are old style steel bar clamps And they will outlast my grandkids.

For modern clamps, as I’ve mentioned, I like Bessey Kwiklamps, also Universal brand aluminum bar clamps.

I have a load of 'one-handed' G-clamps (orange) which work really well, BUT there are similar ones in other colours that are rubbish.

Do you mean these?

Cox Solo Clamps.JPG

Cox Solo Clamps, the originals and still the best. Axminster do a rebadged version. Not too expensive either

ITS - 4 pack 150mm Cox Solo Clamps

That's a useful tip, I always cringe as I release the irwins as you're never quite sure how much kickback you get.
Me too !
Those big Irwin extreme clamps lever up so tight you can see everything bend !
I only have one of them. Pull the trigger without squeezing first and they release with such a bang :)

I have a few of the older Yellow Quick Clamps, look like the bigger Irwins but lately I found that a couple of them are not maintaining presure, I was going to try turning the bar over to see if that made any difference, has anyone tried this? Its funny reading how people like the Wolf versions, I have just one and reallly dont like it at all,,Seems awkward to open,,good job we have lots of different ones to choose from, the Liddles ones were fine but I too broke a couple, clearly the quality is not so great.
Steve.

Thanks for replies.
I'll probably get a collection of different makes and I've ordered some of these for starters Cox Solo One Handed Clamp (150mm) Pack of 4
Lightweight & cheapest but look just the job for current project - pinning down Formica with a batten on the edges for a flawless glue job (hopefully!) No great pressure needed.
My Record G clamps are brill for strength but a bit clunky one handed.

I have a few of the older Yellow Quick Clamps, look like the bigger Irwins but lately I found that a couple of them are not maintaining presure, I was going to try turning the bar over to see if that made any difference, has anyone tried this? Its funny reading how people like the Wolf versions, I have just one and reallly dont like it at all,,Seems awkward to open,,good job we have lots of different ones to choose from, the Liddles ones were fine but I too broke a couple, clearly the quality is not so great.
Steve.
Yes, l`ve turned them to get a bit more life out of them

Thanks for replies.
I'll probably get a collection of different makes and I've ordered some of these for starters Cox Solo One Handed Clamp (150mm) Pack of 4
Lightweight & cheapest but look just the job for current project - pinning down Formica with a batten on the edges for a flawless glue job (hopefully!) No great pressure needed.
They're OK, but a tad harder to use one handed than the Irwin type shown earlier, IMO, since you have twist the err.. twisty bit.

They're OK, but a tad harder to use one handed than the Irwin type shown earlier, IMO, since you have twist the err.. twisty bit.
Right. I didn't see a twisty bit! I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you mean these?

View attachment 123526
Cox Solo Clamps, the originals and still the best. Axminster do a rebadged version. Not too expensive either

ITS - 4 pack 150mm Cox Solo Clamps
Yes, mate. Just looked at those, they're smaller than mine. Without going out to workshop in the p----ing rain to check, I think they're 8". The pads will mark the workpiece so cauls are called for! It's stopped raining & I told o fib - these are the exact same ones I;ve had for many years (6")

Last edited:
Thanks for replies.
They can exert a fair bit of pressure, so be careful with soft wood as the pads will mark it.

I like silverline G Clamps, I was pleasantly surprised by them, as good as old record ones.

Thanks for replies.

Did the Cox Solo's turn up Jacob? interested to hear your thoughts on them

Did the Cox Solo's turn up Jacob? interested to hear your thoughts on them
Yes - have used them today gluing up some plywood sheet stuff. They are very handy - not high pressure but will hold stuff firmly. Record G clamps better for high pressure.
They unclip with just one squeeze on the catch so they are one-handed in use, unless you want to set them wider and pull the twisty end further out.

Good to hear, you'll find with extended use they tend to 'loosen' up a bit, to the point that tipping one vertically the arm will retract under it's own weight, very handy.
Also if you keep pumping down when applying pressure, they increase their grip (marginally) although releasing them becomes a two handed job

Latest posts

Back