Furniture Making Courses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently did a course in Cheshire with a fine furniture maker called David Tragen. Lovely setting and well worth it!

fatica23":3i6o98ta said:
Hi,

I am currently studying level 2 in carpentry & joinery. However when I finish the course I want to get into furniture making. I have look at uni courses but they are all based on "design" rather than the making.......
Design trained people are often low on practical skill and maker trained people are often totally hopeless on design.
So if your carpentry & joinery is OK a design course could be just the thing and you could hit the ground running!

The one thing to avoid is the Krenov/bespoke/Barnsley/Alan Peters idea of furniture making which is very much a cultish minority interest and very restricted in outlook. OK for amateurs in their sheds but in fact a dead end for many aspiring makers. There's lots of other more interesting stuff going on - but you won't know unless/until you do a design course!

phil.p":1f8sx2ks said:
"There is this fatally romantic image to ########, and particularly ########, which is very seductive, and tragically at odds with what the reality of doing it for a living is usually like..."
:lol: Fill in the blanks...
Huh - I'm not giving up on my banjo playing yet! I could be a contender. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHzGxEzDQA

I was getting an Indian takeaway last night. There was another man sitting in the restaurant who I presumed was also waiting for a takeout.
I got chatting to him and turned out that he was also a furniture/cabinet maker (quality ecclesiastiacal work he said), He asked me how business was, I replied "OK, dont make much fumiture, most of my work is built in fiited storage and joinery, I couldnt survive just making furniture".
He agreed with my comments.
Just then the take away owner walked in and handed the man a heated bag full of food. He looked at me a bit embarrassed then left to deliver the take aways !
Sums up the world of furniture making..

PS he had no reason to be embarrassed.

And now we should get back to helping out the OP instead of all this doom and gloom.

Back