Furniture for small boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnwa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, after spending hours trawling ebay and amazon for clasps and hinges for a small box and pretty much wasted my time, I was wondering if there is a uk or decent online supplier of these items that other members use. The greatest problem of buying online is that half of the items for sale aren't dimensioned so you can end up with an item which is totally the wrong size for the project.DAMHIK!! Anyone help please?

The sad truth is that nearly all the Chinese made stuff is poor quality. Brusso probably have the best range and have a European website but at premium prices. I like to use gold plated side rail hinges 8 mm wide, so order from either Rockler or Woodcraft in the US. They are about half the price of the Andrew Crawford and Ian Hawthorne offerings.
I'm still looking for nice gold plated box locks to match.

Classichandtools.com do the Brusso range, which have all the dimensions listed, if its of any help

Hi all, after spending hours trawling ebay and amazon for clasps and hinges for a small box and pretty much wasted my time, I was wondering if there is a uk or decent online supplier of these items that other members use. The greatest problem of buying online is that half of the items for sale aren't dimensioned so you can end up with an item which is totally the wrong size for the project.DAMHIK!! Anyone help please?
Often a good idea to buy the hardware first and adapt the design to fit.

A friend of mine had good experiences with fineboxhardware, mentioned above. Not online, but maybe worth a look is Robert Dyas. Small brass hinges for boxes, I try to buy a few each time I am over there.

It’s personal opinion, but I’d not use pro craft hinges on a box that took more than an hour to make. They are certainly functional, but nothing like the quality of far more expensive options

It’s personal opinion, but I’d not use pro craft hinges on a box that took more than an hour to make. They are certainly functional, but nothing like the quality of far more expensive options

To be quite honest I feel quite insulted.
I made 4 boxes 1 for each of my grandchildren that took me many hours and may not be of the quality that you seem to imply that you produce but the Procraft hinges and locks were very well suited for the items that I get enjoyment from making and giving.
We are not all producing Tiffany quality items as you seem to imply you do.

Attachments

• IMG_20190121_120016.jpg
    IMG_20190121_120016.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
If you can't see how unhelpfull your comment was to a wide range of woodworkers of different skill level to your own then it is not for me to explain.

I've used some box clasps from prokraft, it's not all bad, they are really good quality for the price.

Back