Furniture board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavlar

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

Does anybody have experience of furniture board like this? The price seems reasonable and I need thick, wide boards for a bench project. Any comments on quality would be most helpful.

thanks

hi all

Does anybody have experience of furniture board like this? The price seems reasonable and I need thick, wide boards for a bench project. Any comments on quality would be most helpful.

thanks
It's ordinary redwood available from every timber merchant in the land. Much cheaper if you glue it together yourself.

Unusual in that they are 17mm thick but seem to be pretty OK if you are after a quick ready to use board. Appear to be made in the same way OFL and kitchen worktops are, so may be cheaper if sourced from suppliers to other uses

Meeting at woodtowers
foreman: I've got all these Cumquats offcuts of pine from making structural grade timber, I wonder what I should do with it........
Accountant : how much does glue cost again?
Boss : do it, I'll find a good PR agency to come up with a name for it.

and scene.

For the price of the 32mm you could probably get 44mm beech worktop. Try worktop express, also gumtree, otherwise as mentioned above just buy redwood from anywhere.

Ollie

Thanks all, a useful sense check before I commit - I have found some free timber, albeit a bit knarly and in need of processing, but might need to top up with new stuff. Will go for the redwood instead.

Unless you have the right set up of clamps, thicknesser etc. or real skill with a hand plane, gluing together to make a wide board isn’t always easy if you want the end result to be really flat. That’s why I think furniture boards/panels can be great.

Back