FTP ? anyone know a good one

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
hi
just downloaded filezilla free, but all i can seem to do is load my website 1 file at a time, that cant be right, it will take ages.
anyone use UK2 webhosts and know how to use theirs, again i can only seem to upload 1 file at a time. :(

I use SmartFTP. It's free for domestic use and th only problem I have is that usually it just gives me a nag screen instead of launching, This has got worse ver the last year or two and I don't understand why. Once I get into the program it's fast and easy. I think I should investigate the current level, mine is ancient!
S
Edit - I've just discovered that there is no longer a free version. Bummer!

I don't believe this, a computer question that I can answer! :D

I use ftp everyday and have tried several of the programs. Like you I have found that a lot of the free ones only allow you to upload one or a few files at a time.

This is a real pain. I need to send 30-40 pics at a time. I have found that SmartFTP is the best answer as you just put all the files into a single folder, drag and drop it from the pc location to the remote browser window and the job is done. It separates them all out into single files but sends them one by one automatically. I tend to set it going at night and leave it to it as my uploads are often quite large and take several hours.

You will have to buy it though, I think the download costs about £20, but worth every penny, no more burning CD's and postage costs!

I use Firefox as my web browser and the free add-on FireFTP that seems to work OK.

For web design and upload I use Frontpage 2003 without any problems.

According to the blurb FireFTP will make up to 10 concurrent file transfers.

Misterfish

I use FlashFTP, I've had it for literally yonks (probably windows 95 days) and it works perfectly. I'm not sure if it's even developed any more.

So much software is bloated these days. Another one of those reasons to go over to Mac or Linux, I guess.

HI

If your uploading to your NTL webspace the best software to use is Terrapin as supplied free to users.

You can download it from the bottom of this page

As you install it you will be asked for your NTL login etc.

You can upload single files, the whole website, folders and multiple files as well as just those files that have changed.

Once installed it can be set up for other FTP sites.

john

Just noticed the second part of your question my website is hosted on UK2 and have no problems from them at all apart from lots of spam from a catch all email address which was down to the email address and not them as hosts

cambournepete":3n5bmtnw said:
stevebuk":3n5bmtnw said:
hi
just downloaded filezilla free, but all i can seem to do is load my website 1 file at a time, that cant be right, it will take ages.
I have filezilla free 3.0.11 and I can copy multiple files at once using drap and drop...

I use filezilla too and have never had any problems with multiple files.

you can also use the ftp function in the command window, not had a problem using it when I used to a windows machine (I'm assuming you are using a windows machine).

Back