Froe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeeees, but a wooden mallet isn't the right tool to use with a froe.

It's one of these wot should be used.....

IMG_0176.JPG

It doesn't split and it doesn't gash up the back of your froe, what's best about it is that it's FOC.

Nice cabinet btw.

Last edited:
I've just been banging away with the lump hammer but still not enough and having to apply a 4" bolster to force the froe further down. It all depends on what you are splitting and how dry it is etc. etc.
Ideally you should only be selecting the correct wood if you really want to use the correct tools the correct way. o_O :unsure:

Last edited:

How about one of these to split wood? My friend enjoys repairing and restoring old machines, so this is attached to the ancient tractor he has, he also likes felling and splitting enough timber from his forest for a years heating for the house and his workshop. Stand clear!!

The amount of dung I got from people telling me not to use a steel hammer. You try splitting 3 inch dried ash with a wooden mallet and see how long it lasts
I’ve, (in a past life, or at least- 40 years ago) help with splitting a mile or 2 of sweet chestnut for fencing and we all used lump hammer. I don’t remember any mushrooming

Yeeees, but a wooden mallet isn't the right tool to use with a froe.

It's one of these wot should be used.....

View attachment 155725

It doesn't split and it doesn't gash up the back of your froe, what's best about it is that it's FOC.

Nice cabinet btw.
Also make a nice walking stick when you clean up the knob.

It's a little short.

It's as hard as nuts ( Hazel from a hedge laying adventure) and I'm surprised how well it's holding up, as I've been bashing away with it for 10 years.

Latest posts

Back