Freud saw blades.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ja2_k

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for some advice on what would be the best freud saw blade for my dewalt 717 sliding mitre saw. Its 250mm in diameter and I would like it to have 60 teeth. I believe it needs to be negative rake but I can't see on freud's site which one to choose.
Many thanks john

Hi John, like you I like the Freud saw blades but I believe they don't do a negative tooth on that diameter blade. If you are looking for a high performance blade have you had a look at the Leuco high performance saw blades, they do a 250mm x 30mm bore x 60 tooth on a -6 negative angle, Leuco are a very good saw blade.

Just to add me personally I would always go for a negative tooth as rather than pull into the timber they slice into it.

Phil, where are you finding these Leuco blades for sale in the UK?

It'll be obvious when you tell me, not much coming up on a Google search.

** thread hijack!! **

Whilst I have your attention, I was about to buy one of these for my mitre saw http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/freud-lp60m ... x-30-x-72t but can't find out any info on it now you've made me aware of the negative tooth thing. Doesn't even seem to be listed on the Freud website. Probably made of papier mache.

As Phil Walker has said about negative rake blades, You ought to check the saw blade recommendations by you're saw manufacturer., tooth angle and number of teeth recommended.
It's all to easy to buy the wrong blade and some can be dangerously wrong!
Some have negative rake for severing the fibres as in cross cutting, very much safer.
Regards Rodders

Alright Rodders, yep, I get that. Just can't find any info on this blade, which is odd. I was just getting it as a "free delivery" filler for some blades for my table saw as it looked about right* :)

I'll just pause on this one I think, especially as there's no info on the Freud site.

*edit: By "about right", I mean it's listed as a mitre saw blade with the correct sizes, I'm not a complete chancer. I just didn't know about the negative rake. Will check with Hitachi.

Wuffles":2pqgzqxw said:
Alright Rodders, yep, I get that. Just can't find any info on this blade, which is odd. I was just getting it as a "free delivery" filler for some blades for my table saw as it looked about right* :)

I'll just pause on this one I think, especially as there's no info on the Freud site.

*edit: By "about right", I mean it's listed as a mitre saw blade with the correct sizes, I'm not a complete chancer. I just didn't know about the negative rake. Will check with Hitachi.

I'm at a loss as to the reason for the silly remark you made above, This is not you're thread, and my reply was for the OP, not you.

I think this is you're saw blade you mentioned, There's a link below.
If you scroll down and click on specifications there's a chart for suitability of the different machines as recommended by Freud themselves.
HTH Regards Rodders

https://www.buyaparcel.com/p/circular-s ... 03fs06301/

blackrodd":178k7eg3 said:
Wuffles":178k7eg3 said:

I'm at a loss as to the reason for the silly remark you made above, This is not you're thread, and my reply was for the OP, not you.

If you scroll down and click on specifications there's a chart for suitability of the different machines as recommended by Freud themselves.
HTH Regards Rodders

I don't quite get why you a) think that was a silly remark and b) why you knew I was aware your response was to the OP, you didn't state that. You confirmed what Phil had said, and he'd answered to myself and the OP, so I took it at face value.

Well, Rodders?

Or are "silly" responses the domain of the high post count regulars only? Like every other forum.

I mention this timidly, as I'm no expert:

I have been told in the past, by several sources, that the negative rake thing is to minimise the chance of kickback, and/or flying debris. Without neg rake, the blade can pick up offcuts and throw them around.

The blade on my SCMS isn't negative rake, and it does occasionally throw offcuts around - really small ones, and especially when I'm cutting angles rather than squarely. That said, it makes a superb finish. It's a heavyweight fine-tooth Freud, for laminates and other finished boards. The tooth profile is triple - a point either side, and a third, 'chisel' tooth that cleans out the waste. I can't trench because of the saw's design, but the blade woudn't do that very well - if you just scuff the workpiece surface you can clearly see that the pointed teeth cut first, deeper than the chisel teeth. That said, I get it sharpened by Leitz, and it's just possible that they altered the depth of cut of the chisel teeth last time (it was pretty worn and blunt). It's going back in shortly, so I'll ask them. It's a 250/30 blade with a heavy plate and quite a wide kerf (around 3.5mm)

I very much doubt you'd get a better finish with negative rake. I'd expect it to be worse. BUT it should be safer in use.

I have tried to add an electonic brake to mine in the past (given up as it's too hard to do practically). During the experiments, I worked out how much energy is stored in the spinning blade (weight, diameter and RPM are all needed for the calculation). The answer scared me, frankly, and I confirmed the result by blowing up several mains lightbulbs with the energy stored in the rotating the blade. Railguns make more sense now!

That said, in a workshop, it's not the same as a table saw, as kickback happens up and away from the user. On site, that could throw stuff at someone else though, obviously. I use mine as-is but with caution, and it's been OK (I clamp stuff whenever practical).

For private use I get to choose my level of risk. In a workplace, I wouldn't.

E.

I know these are not Freud sawblades but this is a link to all the different CMT circular saw blades and theIr applications and machines...there are a few new ones which will be added to the catalogue in the next week or two.
http://scosarg.com//leaflets/cmt/2014_Sawblades.pdf

there are several options and we find the quality is superb.
Prices, judge for yourself...
HW = TCT
DP = polycrystalline diamond / PCD
Z = no teeth
TCG = triple chip ground
ATB = alternate top bevel

Wuffles":11vb1mr9 said:
blackrodd":11vb1mr9 said:
Wuffles":11vb1mr9 said:

HTH Regards Rodders

I don't quite get why you a) think that was a silly remark and b) why you knew I was aware your response was to the OP, you didn't state that. You confirmed what Phil had said, and he'd answered to myself and the OP, so I took it at face value.
Wuffles,
I've been busy clearing out for the plumber's pipe runs, for my new shower, so not seen or had time for this.
If I was replying to you're post I would have put a quote, as above, Or you're name, as I said, My post was to the OP,regarding negative rake, you're post was concerning Leuco blades, Which I didn't comment on.
You're response "Alright Rodders, yep I get that" Does rather sound as if you were ratty, which I took it to be.
If this is a mistake then I apologize.
I try and keep to the spirit of this forum and help and swap information, experiences and knowledge, but It seems
You're a hard man to please by you're next post to me in which you don't approve of members having a higher post count, and some thank you's.
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":3kyvuomw said:
If I was replying to you're post I would have put a quote, as above, Or you're name, as I said, My post was to the OP,regarding negative rake, you're post was concerning Leuco blades, Which I didn't comment on.
You're response "Alright Rodders, yep I get that" Does rather sound as if you were ratty, which I took it to be.
If this is a mistake then I apologize.

It wasn't "ratty" in the slightest, but thanks for clarifying. I didn't realise you were responding to the OP, you hadn't made that clear, it's probably the timeline I was following that made me think that.

blackrodd":3kyvuomw said:
I try and keep to the spirit of this forum and help and swap information, experiences and knowledge, but It seems
You're a hard man to please by you're next post to me in which you don't approve of members having a higher post count, and some thank you's.
Regards Rodders

I'm not hard to please at all, it was another thread I was reading through where a few regulars (including yourself?) were quoting and re-quoting the "????" line over and over - some kind of in-joke or whatever - which made me think that it's one rule for some and not for others after reading your "silly remark" comment, which seemed pretty snarky to me. Perhaps I read too much into that. Apologies.

Still, at least it's all sorted out in the end.

I should add, I've not come here to stir up trouble, I'm here for the info exchange too. I've come from the FOG (which I have given up on) where it started to feel like if you have a high enough post count, you can say pretty much anything and be as rude as you like (if you're an American anyway) and that included a few mods.

Latest posts

Back