French Cleats

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_g_ster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have two big and heavy kitchen cabinets that I made that need to be wall mounted soon.

I am hanging via a french cleat on the full length of the back of the units. My slight issue is the wall is about an inch out for one on the units, so it will not be a flush line.

What would you all think be the best way to fix, option....

1. bring the cleat out on the wall so it's level on the wall itself, using some kid of spacer between the cleat in the wall, and rebolt into the wall.

2. Use a space on the one cabinet that will be wonky on the wall so one side of the cleat screwed into the back of the cabinet has a spacer on it to make it hang right.

So far I am not convinced by these cleats, used for another set and though solid on wall, pain to fit.

Have you actually made the cabinets? If not can't you make the sides a bit deeper and scribe?

I always use French Cleats for kitchen cabinets. My own kitchen walls were miles out but so long as the cleat on the wall is straight, there is lots of room for adjustment. As I never use ready made end panels, I just screw and glue the cleat to the back of the cabinet, add spacers as necessary at the bottom and then scribe the end panel to close any gaps at the ends.

I have never bolted them on, just chunky screws should be adequate, most of the force is downwards.

Cleats are the easiest way to ensure runs are straight and level. In fact I usually make a run of units in one piece (up to 4 or so)

Latest posts

Back