Free wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonluv

Established Member
Reaction score
Just to say that I got an old coffee table on Freecycle, very surprised to see quality of wood- and 2 types of wood in one table - this is after first sanding

Wonder why photo is upside down?

John

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 1,091
Well done John! looks nice wood there! also try visiting your local recycling centre/refuse centre's as they throw loads away and if you ask nicely they will put it to one side for ya.
That looks lovely wood.... is it oak/teak?
Brian

Nice to see Freecycle worked out for someone. Just this afternoon I went to pick up an old hi-fi/TV unit that was advertised on Freecycle as solid wood. It certainly looked it and was a very hefty piece of furniture. I took my circular saw with me to chop it up as it was too big to fit in the car and nothing seemed amiss when I was cutting it. It wasn't until I got it home that I noticed that where I had broken the sides off, it had a papery texture. It turned out the whole thing was made from some compressed material, so it went back in the car and to the tip. I don't have much luck with Freecycle.

Somerset England

I think it is Oak (top) and Mahogany (base) it is a bit light in weight for Teak
But I could be wrong!

John

I have been looking at free cycle for wood for a month now. Every time some wood comes up and I write I get no reply. I have put up some wanted messages but no joy. What do you tend to write that attracts the offering persons attention?
Also what is laminate for made from? Any good for scroll sawing?

You have to sign up with Freecycle but beware you will get hundreds of e-mails.

Laminate as in Formica, is a thermosetting plastic that is used over a substrata like chipboard or other base, not in my opinion scrollsawable but who knows!

John

jonluv":mwwpg85g said:
You have to sign up with Freecycle but beware you will get hundreds of e-mails.

Laminate as in Formica, is a thermosetting plastic that is used over a substrata like chipboard or other base, not in my opinion scrollsawable but who knows!

John

Usually used for worktops, chipboard, plus a top layer of whatever. useless.
stick to solid wood.
Mdf, is basically cardboard
hardboard, same as mdf, compressed cardboard.
chipboard, lots of wood chips pressed together,
Could go on. Stick to proper wood, not cardboard, although, technically speaking cardboard is wood.
Duh!

The darker one looks like American black walnut to my eyes but the repetition in the grain makes me think it might be veneered?

Hello John.
Is it possible for you to post the edge view of these table tops as that will give more information ?

mystery over -- sanded a corner down to base and it is a very dense MDF so may use it for Pyrography taking care not to burn deep

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 920
Back