Free AVG Antivirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
A few months ago a number of members kindly pointed us in the direction of the free AVG antivirus program, and unlike the Norton products we have owned it has worked in the background with no problems what so ever.
The only trouble is we thought that it was free for as long as we like, but we have now received an email telling us that from January next year we will have to pay for it. Have other members had this email?

If it comes to it we do not mind having to buy it, we are just surprised by the email because when we downloaded it there was no mention that the free program had a limited time period.

Cheers

Mike

I had Norton for a few years because I didn't know any better. Discovered AVG Free and couldn't believe the (buttery) difference. Went with AVG Pro a couple of years ago and for $9.95 (like £6) a year I think it's cracker value and tech support is 24/7 and very efficient.

why don't you just pay for it. It's a two year subscription as well so more for your money

Sorry Noel, I wish that were true, but it's £24.95 for a 2 year sub or £18.95 for a 1 year subscription.

A bit to go to from a free edition, but if I were to pay for an Anti-virus, i'd much prefer the one from Trend Micro - okay it's expensive(around the same price as Norton), but they do a free online scan which is very good.

http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/products/personal_overview.php

click on housecall for a free scan

Just looked at the equivelant licence (3 computers) from AVG is £36.95 for 1 yr - £49.95 for 2 yr
Stephen

Matt is correct.

If you wish to keep version 7.1 you need to pay. If you want to upgrade to the newer version 7.5 then its free. I did it about two weeks ago.

Cheers

Tim

judder":7sytwhu2 said:
Sorry Noel, I wish that were true, but it's £24.95 for a 2 year sub or £18.95 for a 1 year subscription.

A bit to go to from a free edition, but if I were to pay for an Anti-virus, i'd much prefer the one from Trend Micro - okay it's expensive(around the same price as Norton), but they do a free online scan which is very good.

http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/products/personal_overview.php

click on housecall for a free scan

Just looked at the equivelant licence (3 computers) from AVG is £36.95 for 1 yr - £49.95 for 2 yr
Stephen

Yup Stephen, looked up the wrong account. The $9.99 was my image hosting site. £24.99 if you sign up now for 2 years. Although after the 2 years it may be cheaper to renew.

Lynx,

why don't you just pay for it. It's a two year subscription as well so more for your money

Andy, as I said above I don't mind paying for it (after paying £40+ each year for Norton Systemworks it's cheap at half the price), it's just that I was surprised to get the email because there was no mention of a limited time period when I downloaded it.

Alf,

Try Avast!

Cheers Alf

and thanks to everyone else for your advice. I will check them out.

Cheers

Mike

If you're happy with AVG why not stay with it? It continues to be free, it's just an upgrade.
Mike

Ive been using AVG free edition for at least 5 years now and it has done its job well and doesnt hog the system as much as other anti-virus programs. I think I will pay for it when I have to as Ive got it free so far.
I have tried Avast also and if I remember right I had problems trying to uninstall the 30 day trial. It seemed to have embedded itself into the system with the only way to get shot of it was to reinstall XP

Having had problems with malware recently I'm now using the free version of AVG. I've used Avast in the past but AVG did pick up some problems that Avast missed. AVG also do a free Anti Spyware program which seems to also work well, although the free version needs to be manually updated ,I believe. Finally Bitdefender do a very good free online scan.

Oh and finally finally :roll: If you do get something nasty that you can't get rid of I got some really good expert advice from a site called Geeks to Go. Someone in the USA walked me through the steps I needed to take and the software I needed to download to get rid of the malware.

All the best,
Steve

Back