Frankensaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseM

Established Member
Reaction score
Inspired by Alf's tutorial on making saw handles I decided to try and make a Peace handle. For those who don't know some of the handles that were made were contoured to fit the hand better. This one is done for a righty.

I took an old Warranted Superior panel saw my Dad gave me. The handle was rubbish, and it was rusted badly. I thought what better saw to experiment with.

normal_imgp0003.jpg

I added some flourishes from the original handle here.

normal_imgp0011.jpg

Here is a shot holding it. Hopefully you can see how it fits nicely in the hand.

normal_imgp0004.jpg

Here's a better shot of the rear.

normal_imgp0007.jpg

And here's the other side.

normal_imgp0009.jpg

The medallion is from a set of extra screws I bought from the bay. I had a hard time finding 4 nuts that fit the same way, and had to trim up a few. The result is that they all fit perfectly now. I did not have a bit the right size for the medallion so there is a bit of slop. Also I used 5/4 maple and did not thickness it so the nuts are a little deeper than you see on a real saw.

I was really disappointed with the finish. I used oil on the maple and it seems to have really bled. After 3 coats and some wax its grown on me more, but I still wish I had tried shellac first. I've always had good success with oil except this time.

The handle feels great. I haven't tried it out yet cause I need to sharpen it up. BTW its a 20" 10 PPI panel saw. I am tempted to try another for a tenon saw.

Looks great, Jesse!
Be careful - once you start making handles it can get away from you :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Thanks guys. The shaping was surprisingly easy. What I found the most nerve wracking was drilling the holes in the handle.

Latest posts

Back