Framing Nailer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedmc571

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone reccomend a good compressor driven framing nailer ? The Axminster one looks like a good price, but I don't want to go top end as £200 is as much as I want to spend.
I saw an SIP on Ebay, but am dubious of tools off Ebay.
They all seem to be the same look, and like most tolls are probably manufactured by a company, and then re=badged for the consumer.

Any help appreciated

Jed

P.S I live near Chester if anyone can suggest where to buy ?

Hi Jed, I bought one off e-bay. They are still listed on there too I think the make is Rockworth or Rockwell, something similar anyway. It cost me £79 at the time and now I see they are around £40. Has given me good service and I built my workshop with it without any problem. I bought the nails from Screwfix (Galv clipped head collated 90mm) and they worked fine in it. It is still going strong after over a year now so I certainly can't complain with it. I guess you pays your money and takes your choice really. Hope this helps. :wink:

I bought a cheappie from B&Q but wasn't happy with the quality and returned it. I baught a Duo Fast one from a local supplier and have used it for over a year with no problems at all. The build quality is excellent and it uses full head nails as opposed to the D shaped ones of some other brands. The nails come in plastic strips and I've been told that these are supperior and less likely to cause jams when compaired to the D type ones held in paper strips.

I think it was around £250.

Mark

Check on ebay and see if you can get a Bea framing nailer. They are excellent. That's where I got mine from at about the price you are willing to pay and when I had it checked over by BEA they said it was worth over seven hundred quid new. It fires 2 1/2" to 4"
nails no probs. Thats what I've used to build my workshop.

Drew

I looked at the one on Axminsters site and noticed that they didn,t supply 90mm ring shanked nails for it.
When I rang to enquire about this, the tech support told me that they,d had complaints about the 90mm ring shanked nails sticking, so had stopped supplying the 90mm ring shanked nails.
The straight 90mm nails are OK.
Just something to think about if buying something similar to the Axminster one.

Chris.

Shultzy":q9t0jtoc said:
I'm in the market to buy a nailer, mainly for attaching the cladding on my new workshop, are 18g nailers suitable or do I need one that fires proper nails?

I tried with my old workshop and although it was handy to hold them in place i didnt feel happy and put in proper nails!
I'm doing a new workshop now and am going to buy a proper nailer :D

Mike

Shultzy":1v6hontj said:
I'm in the market to buy a nailer, mainly for attaching the cladding on my new workshop, are 18g nailers suitable or do I need one that fires proper nails?

This was discussed in Byron Black's workshop build thread recently. Byron successfully used an 18g nailer to attach his cladding. But I would be worried about the durability of thin 18g brads as, A) they are too thin in my opinion and B) they are not protected against corrosion. Something like a 15g finish nailer with galvanised nails would be much better for this application.

I bought a Silverline nailer from a retailer on Ebay earlier this year. Can't remember how much exactly it was, but about £70 - £80 IIRC. I made a large garden building with it, both 90mm nails for the frame and 50 mm for the cladding. Worked fine, no jams.

Colin C

Back