Framed-braced-ledged, and glazed door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hope you can help.

A customer wants me to look at making a framed-ledged front door for them. Can anyone suggest a source of design for the glazing detail, or tell me if its straight forward to do so.

A glazing firm has advised a 14mm unit but what I'm unfamiliar with is how to frame it into the door.

Obviously the image is a dodgy cobble together but its trying to show the unit mounted into a mini frame arrangement within the door's frame.

Also my reading so far indicates that the door doesn't need a building notice for planning if its under 50% glazed. Is this correct or is that bit just concerning u-values only?
Its going into a listed building. The owners have approval for a non identical door. I don't know if this affects the regs side of things.
Advice or starting points appreciated.

D&C_Door.jpg by markuspalarkus, on Flickr

Basically, cut the glass external size from the door@ central, collect a beveled piece of hardwood, door glass fire stop from any Burbidge mouldings rack, cut and fix into place from the outside, and seal, this will protect the original door material and also throw the rain water off.
Minimum D/G thickness is 14mm i think, cut, and fix two battens, (50 mm x 17 mm for this ) one piece, 15mm above, and one piece,15mm below the hole cut in the door, forming a rebate, 15mm + 10mm fire stop. all around.
The thickness at which ever final glass thickness + 3mm for glazing mastic.each side.
Side pieces first so as to strengthen the cut-out material.
Cut and fix 2 more pieces to the vertical sides, fix the glass sat on the small pads sealing all round with glazing mastic and allow to set. Allow plenty, as it is better to cut the excess squeezed out, once it is set, inside and out, with a stanley knife.
Finish off the inside, covering the glass mastic fixing from sight.
Done one last week, in oak!
Building regs/ permission, get any agreements in writing it only needs a person to call in sick and the stand-in or replacement Bod will have everything to his interpretation or requirement, Stop stress by not going there!
HTH Regards Rodders

Back