Making a wooden window frame for a double glazing unit ~ advice wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maevis moon

Reaction score
I'm building a workshop.
The most difficult aspect is I have a large double glazing unit, with no frame, that I want to use. Well its *free*.
This window is not required to open.
Advice on making a simple wooden frame please?
The glass measures 162 x 106 x 2cm
I thought of cutting a piece of 45 x 70mm into an L-shape (have circular saw, router etc).
Any advice?
(Please note: this is a glorified shed that I'm making, so quickest/easiest approach required, not building regs. Ta)

45 x 70 will make a decent frame

1) ideally you need a thicker cill section so add a 20mm bit of timber to the underside. And put in a 10mm groove on the face of the 45mm x 70mm bottom rail -for a plant on cill

2) make a flat frame with the bottom and head running across. -make the flat frame 10mm bigger than the glass on width and height.

3) put beading on the inside to create a rebate, the rebate ideally wants to be 18mm

4) make and external glazing bead -the sides and head can be square, the bottom needs to be chamfered

5) make a cill to plant on afterwards -it need sot be 100mm longer than the external frame measurement. and say about 70mm x 45mm in section (you need the cill drip to clear the workshop external cladding -so adjust the 70mm to suit your circumstance

6) use glazing shims so the glass sits evenly in the frame.

7) glaze with silicone -dont fill the gap, just put in a 6mm bead of silicone. On bottom bead put plenty of silicon on back edge (or even better put a 4mm x 4mm rebate in the bead where it goes against the glass and fill up rebate with silicone after glazing

8) weathering tip: cut side beads 5mm short of bottom bead and make bottom bead wider so it protects out and put saw cut in underside for drip.

9) have cup of tea!

Latest posts

Back