Forum Users Routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Draper Expert 45368

I'm very happy with it - the choice of fixed or plunge base is handy (although the plunge is a little stiff for my liking)

I have a Trend T11, it's my third router and has handled everything that I've thrown at it, probably overkill for some of my freehand work but makes short work heavy jobs with big bits. I was contemplating buying a second when my last project saw me fitting and removing the guide bush about ten times in one day, until I saw the price.

Previously had a 1/4" Ferm - now deceased, and a Freud 2000 which has been resting in a cupboard with a segment missing from the armature.

Triton (don`t know the model number off hand, 1/2 inch ) mounted in table. Very good for table mounting, never used it for much else.

Makita 1850 watt 1/2 inch . Great all round, for worktops, rounding over etc.

Bosch gfk 600 trim router. Brilliant little thing for all sorts, very light and easy to control. One problem is it has no variable speed control so I worry about putting really big cutters in it.

Ollie

Triton MOF001 for the table - which is great and would never part with it.
Festool 1010 for freehand which I've just bought second hand - seems great but didn't get the 1/4" collet and they're 40 quid - doh!

Dewalt 625 which I am very happy with..... but it is bl@@dy heavy and I am thinking of getting the smaller twin base dewalt 26204 for some jobs.

I have 2 Bosch GKF-600 handheld routers / laminate trimmers. One with a 6mm spindle and the other with 1/4". I have been reasonably happy with these and for softwood (mainly pine), they perform very well. This of course is dependent on the quality of the bits.

Paul.

Two Black and Decker 1/4" routers bought for next to nothing from a car boot sale. My first foray into using a router.

A Bosch POF500A, bought second-hand. I love the small compact size and enjoy using it for hand held work.

A Triton TRA001 1/2" router. My first serious machine, recent purchase and primarily bought to use in the router table that I've recently made. It's so big and heavy compared to the Bosch that I tend to pick up the Bosch for hand held tasks. However as my routing experience grows and I get more used to the Triton, I would like to try a bit more hand held work with it.

Ferm 1/4" embarrassed to say not used it yet, bought it to add to cheap tool collection.
Erbauer 1/2" bought to cut kitchen work surface join, worked well. Mounted it under my Dakota router table, never used as had to remove handle, tape down on switch, not confident of safety.
Replaced with Draper Expert mounted fixed base under my Dakota router table, works really well and still have plunge base which I can use with motor when unclipped from fixed base.

Makita 1/2'' beasty in the table and a little Bosch POF-500 for precision hand-held work.

The Bosch is a pain to set up but it's so light and controllable I just find it easy to use. The Makita is an animal hand-held so it stays in the table most of the time.

Makita 3612 1/2"
Powercraft from Aldi 1/4" (can't remember if I've used it or where it is)
Powercraft router table from Aldi (I know where that is, not with the router)

Elu 177E
Hitachi TR8
Both bought in 1988.
The Hitachi is shwoing ti's age and the plunge action is a bit sticky, but the Elu still works as well as the day it was bought.

Makita RP2301 1/2" plunge router which hardly ever gets used any more :(

Makita RP0900 1/4" plunge router, again hardly ever used right now :(

Makita RT0700 laminate trimmer.

Tonino Lamborghini 1/2" plunge router. Bought as a stop gap a couple of years ago while my Makita was out of action. Surprisingly good for a £65 investment and the one I use most at the moment. Only downside so far is the plunge can be a little stiff and wonky if you aren't careful. I keep meaning to strip the plunge guides down to modify them but haven't had time yet.

I have two routers (B&Q PowerPro 1200W 1/4+1/2") one of which is permanently fixed to my (PowerPro) router table.

I am hoping to build my own table with lift when I get the chance and suitable design.

Back