Forum Users Routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Festool 1400 in a Festool router table
Festool 1400 loose
Festool 1100 loose
Edge trimming Festool (700?)
15,000 RPM special spindle for spindle moulder that takes router collets.
Big and small LN hand routers

Observations,

1. A spindle moulder, especially with a sliding table and a power feed, usually gives superior results to a router.
2. But the set up time for a spindle moulder is always longer than you expect, 45 or even 60 minutes isn't unusual.
3. I've used a Lamello Cantex but don't own one, for edge trimming I doubt its quality and speed can be beaten by any router.
4. Hand routers (non power) are superb tools, and for one off jobs are fast and accurate. With ingenuity and practise they can deliver flawless tenons.
5. Inlaying with a power router isn't a problem in itself, no better or worse than a well made scratch stock, but a router isn't as versatile or quick with curved inlaying.
6. Routers often move relative to fences by a few tenths of a mill when you lock them off, even really good routers.
7. A Festool 2200 (which I don't have) is the best router to use with Festool guide rails. I'm not sure I'd buy a new Festool 1100 or 1400 now as it can't be long before they're replaced with new models incorporating some of the 2200 enhancements.
8. Hollows, rounds and moulding planes are lovely tools, permitting profiles that can't really be achieved any other way. I wish it was commercially viable to use them.
9. Zero clearance inserts, on bases or router table fences, make a difference. Why aren't they used more often?
10. Routers are dangerous, even little ones. They can drag your hand into the cutter or climb across your body and the injuries they can cause are truly horrible.

Working both on site and in the workshop I have both 240v and 110v tools which was a pain in the ass untill i installed a dedicated transformer in the workshop but my list is as follows.

110v Bosch GFK 600 (permanently set up for rebating 100mm fire door hinges)
110v Bosch GFK 600 (permanently set up for cutting intumescent strips in fire doors using the special trend bit)
110v Festool 0F 2200 (for anything else that needs cutting on site, including leading edges on doors using special bit)
110v Lamello Profila E plus (we do a lot of post lamination stuff)

240V Bosch GFK 600 (permanently set up with 1.5mm radius round over bit)
240v Bosch GFK 600 (permanently set up with 45 degree chamfer bit)
240v Bosch GFK 600 (permanently fixed into a a router table of sorts with a 1.5mm radius bit used only for this purpose)
240v Bosch GFK 600 x 2 for whatever else we need one for, tend to set them up at start of a job and leave them set as saves costly mistakes.
240v Festool OF1010
240v Festool OF1400
240v Festool OF2200
240v Lamello Profila E Plus (currently in need of new bit)
and although not strictly routers we have a Lamello lamina and a lamello cantex, which I must say although frightfully expensive, is such an awesome tool if you do a lot of solid wood lipping to sheet goods.

(ps: This list cost me my wife!)

(edit: also have a AXYZ Millennium CNC router to if that counts)

Okay, I've now found my Aldi Powercraft 1/4" jobbie. After a couple of "routs", I took a pickaxe to it. Worse than useless!!

My Makita 3612C is a big heavy beastie with little finesse, plus it's a bit sticky at the top of the plunge, but generally bullet-proof and will tackle any job, recommended.

Dewalt 625 in table
Hitachi m12
Festool of 1010
Dewalt 1/4 can't remember model no. Sorry

James

DeWalt 625EK - powerful, quite heavy but really solid workhorse
DeWalt 615 - great tool, lightweight and perfect for detailed work
both a bit of a pain with dust extraction attachments though.

Very recently a brand new Festool OF1400, still unused in box, but will be getting to unpack and use it next free weekend. :D

Trend T-11EL. 110V. Bought new in 2008.

Excellent. Only had to replace one of the palm grips which broke loose when someone else had a little dropsie with it.

Variable speed control and just feels solid, whatever the task.

Cheers

Andrew

hi all.
triton 2400w
dewalt dw624
makita 3612
elu mof96.[mum bought me this for my fourteenth birthday] im 54 now and its still working although a little noisey.
nuf said...

Makita RPO900X. Not sure why I bought it really. Used it once.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

damo8604":2vgurm2i said:
Triton TRA001 in the table (and I love it!)
Bosch POF 500
Same here TRA001 and the triton table. Very good,,
Hitachi 12 in my home made long table and a small Swiss elu for hand held stuff

I am very satisfied with my Bosch GMF 1600 CE, only thing I dislike and it's a big dislike too, is the start button isn't on the motor body itself.

DeWalt DW625E in a table - does what I want it to
Bosch GOF 1300ACE - lovely versatile little machine
Ryobi ? - not even sure why I've got it - small 1/4" machine I've never used

Triton TRA001 in and out of triton table
cheap bosch 1/4 inch
bosch has worked brilliantly even though costing very little, currently been mostly routing door hinges in with it.
yet to put the triton to the test but if it lives up to the hype then i'm in for a treat. It'll even make the dinner if you leave it running :lol:

Hi guys, first ever post on here so be nice.....
I'm a totally newbie to routing but have long been fascinated and now want to learn.
I have the following
Bosch POF52, ancient but seems nice and portable
Ryobi ERT 1500v.

The Ryobi was bought two days ago at a country auction for £28 with the unused cutters . Nobody seems to say much about Ryobis but at that price I couldn't resist, so i have two machines to use to learn about routing, and a fruit cage project to try out halving joints with a router for the first time

Bosch GKF 600

As many other users, I am sure, I too own one of these guys.

PROS: light, portable, easy to handle with one hand, OK powered for the size, guide works well.

CONS: Bosch parts (mine came with no dust collector attachment - price? around £40-50 for a piece of plastic. Collet broke once. Price? £20+ Managed to find it for like £3 on Powertool Spares.) Height adjustment could be better, and a softer start would make life easier.

All in all a great router imo, harmed by Bosch's lack of basic decency in parts replacement.

Cheers
A

Back