Forum Users Routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Makita RF1101KIT (two base set from U.S.) This set is used almost daily, sometimes heavily, in every situation imaginable, but mostly in a table. Smooth, quiet, comfortable, trouble free.

I also use a Ryobi R160 (1/4" fixed-base from U.S. which has very accurate [but tedious] adjustment. Now used primarily for dovetailing and hinge morticing. Occasionally used for other freehand work, but I like the Makita so much it usually gets used for most everything.

I have to use them both on a transformer--but I have a few 110-120v tools/machines.

I went through several (lost count) PP Pro plunge routers, 2 PP Pro D-handles, and an Axminster AW127R, before deciding to buy my Makita set.

The PP Pro's all developed electrical faults and a few other faults(all within the warranty period and all happily replaced and finally money returned by B&Q.) The Axminster developed an electrical fault and also developed significant runout and heavy vibration (particularly noticeable when running largish bits). This happened just after the warranty period, so was a write-off. The Makita set cost roughly the same as the above Far Eastern routers and is in another league entirely. Almost forgot, I also briefly had a JCB, that was worthless straight from the box.

I have also used--but do not own--Freud and Porter-Cable routers, both of which are fine routers.

Brad

I use these:

Elu MOF 96 (handheld use) (after many years of troublefree use, I now have problems with bits getting stuck in the collet)

Triton (in router table)

Festool OF 1400 (recent addition, for handheld use as well as Woodrat)

I also have the Trend-Tech 2kW router from B&Q. This is the first router I have owned so I really don't have anything to compare it with. So far it has done everything I have asked of it either hand-held or in the table I built. My only gripe is with the dust extraction port, which blocks rather easily. I had a minor fire in the shop vac when a plug of sawdust started to burn in the blocked port and then shot down the vacuum hose into the vac.

cheers

George

Makita 3612c in table, excellent will eat anything you feed it! :twisted:

And...erm...ok here goes...an erbauer 1/2 inch thing. :oops: Rubbish takes ages to get up to speed, wont fit in the table (reason i bought it, to free up makita) with the dust extractor attachment on its almost impossible to change the bit and the rubber bit on the plunge lock lever stops it from locking!! :x Does its best work in the case as it is the same height as the bed of the mitre saw. keeps those long pieces nice and level!!
Ive been thinking of jamming a teaspoon in the collet to make a power tea stirrer. Might get a bit messy tho!!

Ok rant over, whose next?

I have just got a festool OF1400 i have not used it in anger yet but design wise it is awesome. I am downsizing my collection from hitachi m12v which has been fantastic in a table for various skirting work i have done. A dewalt 625ek which i got on a low bid on ebay never really used and just sold for a 50quid profit, don't know why preffered the hitachi and a trend T5 which i use for trimming etc and is hard to beat for power versus manoeverability. I am trying to save space so i am trying just to have the festool.

Elu 1/4" - handheld only
"Trend" (B & Q) - yuk, really awful
Triton TRB001 (3.25HP) - mainly table use - superb machine
Triton MOF001 (2.25HP) - mainly hand-held, excellent on the Leigh D4

Ray.

DeWalt 625EK in the Rat
Freud 2000EP in the Table
Porter Cable 6903 (dual base) for hand work and jigs
Makita 3700B for light work and trimming

Ploget

Elu MOF96e hand held - I bought it in 1989 and it's still going strong, after I recently fitted a new top bearing and a DeWalt 1/4 inch collet.

Trend T9 - 2006 (on special offer!) - used mainly in my home-built router table.

Les

B&Q Macalaster 1500W Plunge Router.

First router I've owned, and it seems good to me.. although the fence is a bit wobbly.

Folks,

Here's my kit:

-Bosch POF 500A (mostly for awkward stuff... nice inexpensive DIY router)
-Porter Cable 7529 110v (more features than should be allowed)
-Porter Cable 684VK kit 110v (with all three bases, but never leaves the pistol grip... bringing a couple of single speed 220v bases fromt he US on the next trip!)
-Bosch GOF 1700 110v (destined for the "yet to be built" new table)
-Craftsman 1 1/4 HP 110v (for the "rough and tumble" Workmate router table)

I also use a Dremel in the fixed router base from time to time.

Thanks, Jim

2 off Trend T11's both are 1/2" one is fitted permanently in a router table.
1 off Makita 3620 1/4" Router
1 off Makita 3708F Trimmer
1 off unknown 1/4" trimmer

DW625 - 4 of these in tables and 1 for heavy hand held jobs like worktops. Very powerful & reliable.

DW621 - 1 for Leigh dovetail jig and 1 for general use. Excellent medium sized router particularly the dust extraction facility. Highly recommended.

Festool 1/4" (can't remember number) My favourite for small jobs as the pistol grip enables you to hold the router in one hand while you hold the work in the other. Expensive but worth treating yourself for Christmas!

Triton - In the back of a cupboard somewhere. Fell apart in no time!

Perles - Started out with a little one of these - didn't last long.

Back