Forum users' Planers & Thicknessers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All

I use a Kity 439, but then I only have a single garage avalible. However still happy with the machine.

Gary

Kity 613 although the thicknesser is cream crackered! I use it for the jointer only I do have a cheapo SIP thicknesser but it is what can I say, 'Cheap and tacky' Recently updated with a Rockwell 6" jointer all cast iron. Nice cutter with a three blade block. Addition to fleet a nice Elu 10"X6" P/T, Wonderful machine although the chip chute is a little Heath Robinson, modified it now though. Easy enough to setup and don't have to remove the tables to use the thicknesser. I am dumping the SIP. :wink:

SIP 6" Planer last week. Unsure about purchase as I am still tuning. Slight twist between opposite corners of infeed and outfeed tables which is a .9mm difference. Hence cannot get fence at right angles along the entire bed length. Will keep you posted.

David

Woodstar PT85 - just drove past Machine Mart,who were having another VAT-free day,and couldn't resist..8)

Andrew

Andrew,

I would be very interested in how you get on with the Woodstar, I had a serious look at it and might be regretting my decision with the SIP planer. Larger capacity than the equivalent Mafell and SIP clone. I also believe it has in induction motor?

David

David - only got as far as reading the manual so far,but in the "troubleshooting" section it mentions worn brushes,so I guess it's a brush motor.
The English part of the manual is,however,translated from German (It mentions a "circle breaker" when I'm sure it means "circuit breaker") so your guess is as good as mine.. :lol:

Andrew

Thanks Andrew

Please could you post some comment after you have played with it.

David

Put me down for an EB HC260C - although it's now actually branded Metabo.

(I think the C relocates the thicknessing table crank to below the table and... probably not much else?)

Used it for the first time today - seems good! Can tell that the alu tables are a bit tacky compared to ci, but this is heavy enough to move in a tight workshop, not sure if I could have coped with the 150kg Axminster!

EB H260C aswell - been a little star for the last two years

Please put me down for a Makita 2012NB thicknesser.
This will be a keeper. Close call between it and DeWalt733 both at £349.

David

I have an DeWalt DW50 p/t, but am looking out for a new machine (problems with sniping as well as marring from the rollers). Does anybody else have this machine? I'm not quite sure how old it is, but at least 20 years I think.

Johan

Took delivery of a Charnwood W582 Planer/thicknesser yesterday.
Have only set it up and run a test piece but seems ok, for £385 new,delivered! (ebay)
Tweeking and play time today :lol:
Is this the first one, didn't see it on the list.

Cheers

Julian
Ps. Hope the comment below is not true in this case!!

Back