Forum users' Planers & Thicknessers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Record RSPT 260 bought used for £275 which in retrospect is a bit much. I find the re-sharpenable blades a pain to change as they are very thick and most people I know get a better finish with the disposable ones which are thinner and easier to fit. Keeping the machine operating well is a chore and new they are very expensive. This machine is top of my 'to upgrade' list.

workshop4.jpg

Only just noticed this section of the forum, but for what it's worth, my saw/planer is, as far as I can make out, a Lurem C200. Bought in bits for £50, added a couple of motors plus switchgear and a few other mods, since when it's been in regularish use for about 12 years. Excellent 8inch P/T, not so good 10 inch saw and a spindle that I've never dared use.

Hello all, mine is a record , I think it is a PT260, or something like that, anyway it works like a dream

GT

I used to have a Perform CCNPT (mentioned much earlier in this thread - July 2005?) but upgraded to the Axminster AW106PT back in Septemeber '07 (only a matter of weeks before they upgraded the model to include a cast iron fence. :roll: ).

I am very impressed with the build quality of this machine. For an extra £100 (against the cost of the old CCNPT) you get an incredible amount more for your money. I have had some trouble getting the two tables set correctly. But, after months of fiddling with it myself, Axminster recently offered to take it in and do the work for me - and I should have it back tomorrow! :D

Jet JPT-310 for me.
Super machine.
Used to have a Kity 1647 and that was good too.

Have a great weekend all,

Stephen

Hi I have a sedgwick MB 12 inch P/T and Multico 9 inch surface planer.

Digit - I would go for cast iron.

Jon

I must own to a bias towards cast iron Jon but was wondering if I was simply out of date.

Roy.

I must own to a bias towards cast iron Jon but was wondering if I was simply out of date.

Roy.

DeWalt 733
Very pleased with it.
Dust hood has a reducer to 60 mm which means I can use my Trend T30AF while I don't have room for a proper thicknesser extractor.

My Record PT260 is generally very good, only had to flip the blades round, not re-sharpen yet, but will be interesting to see if I can get a sharper edge that holds for a decent length of time.

Conversion between modes is pretty quick and it's easy to achieve square edges. Like most P/T's an extractor is essential, so I had to factor in the cost of that when I got it. My only gripe is the outfeed roller, it's serrated metal and always leaves some indentations no matter how careful I am, so further finishing is required.

If I was buying again I'd consider the extra expense of the Scheppach with its rubber outfeed roller

Ironballs, the serrated outfeed rollers on any thicknesser should not leave marks unless you are taking too fine a cut (less than 0.5mm).

Makita 2012NB, inc. dust extractor fitting, i've not used it yet though as too busy with day job.

Paid £262 inc. delivery.

Dean

Back