Forum users' Planers & Thicknessers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we all tend to learn the hard way, it seems today that an expectation of purchasing some that works is long gone.
I purchased a SIP TS and was surprised to find that none of it was square, upright, true or nowt else. Ok, with an engineering back ground I was able to get it all working and I'm very satisfied with it.
So as fore warned is fore armed I purchased a Metabo PT from the same retailer; I returned it the following day!
Even with my background there was nowt that I could do with infeed and outfeed tables that were twisted!
My next purchase was a Metabo thicknesser, again from the same retailer, I even persuaded them to throw in a spare set of knives, this time I was crafty; or so I thought, and even checked the price of the disposable knives. A bit steep for a pensioner at over twenty quid, but convenient.
Twelve months later over fifty quid!!!
A set of DeWalt knives, four small rare earth magnets and having the cutter block machined to take them came out cheaper!

Roy.

Just acquired a Scheppach HMS2600ci, not sure what the difference is between this and a HMS260ci (apart from an extra nought!). Spent a while combing comments on this forum and when Yandles were offering them for £800 and free delivery seemed too good an opportunity to miss. Delivery coincided with the demolition of my workshop and the new one isn't scheduled to arrive 'till the end of October (professional job, you'll see why when I eventually post up some pics; took a week for the digger to remove the soil for the foundations) so it's set up in the garage. I've no experience of this type of machinery so relied heavily on the opinions of others. So thank you to all who spare the time to share their experiences. Me? I'm still learning, but so far I'm not disappointed.

Tony Comber

Had this Griggio FS430 for a couple of months now The 2100mm long tables are great for straightening and it has a 4 knife block as well for a great finish.

planer01.jpg

The sedgwick MB is going onto the mezzanine floor when its finished if i can lift it up there :D

cheers

jon

Axminster AW106PT2 Thickness/Planer

Great machine, very accurate, solid design, quiet motor. Only fault would be planing thickness adjustment has a grub screw to ensure the thickness don't vibrate to a different setting, this screw has to be tightened with an allen key, a small knob would have been better and thinking about it not a very difficult mod. This don't effect the operation, i have never tightened the screw and it hasn't changed from machine vibration, i have caught the adjustment knob though.

EJCA planer/thicknesser/morticer. An older model from the 1950-ies. 25cm cutterhead and 1,10 long in total. I bought it secondhand a month ago.
There were a tablesaw and a disc grinder attachments as well. Those were just bolted on marketing ploys so I removed them.

Advantages:
-Cast iron tables and plenty of cast iron everywhere else too.
-Strong frame.
-No vibrations.
-Machining and fit is of great quality.
-Three phase motor with enough power
-A thick oldfashioned cutterhead for standard industrial knives that can be bought new anywhere and resharpened.

Disadvantages:
-There was originally no depth stop on the morticer. It was easy to make one.
-The motor is not heavy enough to keep the belt tight when starting. I am working on a belt tensioner.
-The grease nipples follow an old standard and do not fit a modern grease gun. I fitted modern ones.
-The fence is difficult to set at 90 degrees. I am pondering over a way to improve it.
-Built to work without dust collector but it was easy to weld up an adapter for the dust collector hose.
-There was an asbestos lining on the cutter brake. I removed it and substituted it with leather.

A decent machine for little money.

Attachments

• hyvelmaskin1.JPG
    hyvelmaskin1.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 3,339
Multico 9" planer

Multico 12" thicknesser

Both good , but dust extraction is not great on the thicknesser and I wish it was easier to set the blades correctly

Multico 9" planer/thicknesser/tennoner.
Planer and tennoner is great, top thicknesser attachment is downright scary

Axminster AW128PT 12" P/T.
Good solid accurate machine, only downside is flipping the beds to use as a thicknesser, but space was a consideration, and I dont think I could get seperate P+T for anywhere near the same value. It has a good length of bed at 1520mm and has proved to be plenty powerful for what I need, so overall I'm very pleased with it.

Metabo ADH 1626, bought s/h 20 years ago from a German, still going strong, blade change a faff.

Now wanting something bigger, anyone got a minimax FS41 classic (would like the Elite, but too dear)?
The fence looks flimsical, anyone know if its any good?
The other contender is Hammer A3 41.

anne":1tlkrzav said:
Metabo ADH 1626, bought s/h 20 years ago from a German, still going strong, blade change a faff.

Now wanting something bigger, anyone got a minimax FS41 classic (would like the Elite, but too dear)?
The fence looks flimsical, anyone know if its any good?
The other contender is Hammer A3 41.

I have the Hammer A3-41,very nice machine,if you do end up with one you will not be dissapointed.

Mark.

Weinig Powermat 6 head (Unimat prior and this one cut Leadermac up for toast)
Leadermac 6 head (glad I did not purchase it)

Got a planer thicknesser I think it is a Griggio, will have a look on my return to work

electra beckum ht260 ;-) not long had it but i love it and everything i have put through it has come out well. no complaints !

Back