Forstner Bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexam

Bandsaw Boxmaker
Reaction score
I need a 55mm Forstner bit for an insert, (don not wasnt a hole, just insert) does anyone have any guidance on reasonable quality bit please?
Malcolm

Thats on the big side for a forstner

Have you considered a hole saw or a tank cutter ?

A tank cutter (assuming the hole is not too deep) is quite versatile as you can fit custom ground blades.

lurker":2npv4zhr said:
Thats on the big side for a forstner

Have you considered a hole saw or a tank cutter ?

A tank cutter (assuming the hole is not too deep) is quite versatile as you can fit custom ground blades.

Sounds like he just wants a recess, so not sure those would work alone. You could use them in conjunction with a router though. So use the hole saw to make a template and then a guided router bit to cut out the recess.

I have the record 16 Piece Forstner Bit Set and its brilliant. The biggest size (2 1/8”) is almost 55mm? Way more than you want, but the quality is there and it's useful to have.

Be careful about buying these kinds of things on ebay. I have bought several one off drill bits and forstner bits and mostly all of them have been utter rubbish.

I have the Forstner set like imageel has
Very good indeed :)

If they get blunt; the lightest touch with a very small file will bring them back up to speed

Occasionally Screwfix have them on special offer

From the Bay I bought a Silverline 2 inch Forstener bit which was not good :roll:
They replaced it with a similar below par bit, it put me off Silverline somewhat

"From the Bay I bought a Silverline 2 inch Forstener bit which was not good :roll:
They replaced it with a similar below par bit, it put me off Silverline somewhat"

Oh man, thats a brand word that should NOT be used in the same sentence as "bought"

sunnybob":olqet4dg said:
"From the Bay I bought a Silverline 2 inch Forstener bit which was not good :roll:
They replaced it with a similar below par bit, it put me off Silverline somewhat"

Oh man, thats a brand word that should be used in the same sentence as "bought"

I'm with you, Silverline does not have a silver lining!
M

twodoctors":ho10j3oo said:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/wood-drill-bit-set-35-pc/75037?_requestid=93995

I bought these and they are good (enough) for an amateur like me. Biggest is 54mm also.

I bought the same set and they were very blunt. Myabe I was unlucky

+1 for FAMAG. Bormax3 series if you're feeling very flush. Often they're cheaper direct from Germany.

Back