formica over formica?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joinerb

Reaction score
just looked at a job to replace a cafe coutertop. problem is the the top is 1100mm wide and i am struggling to find a replacment as the widest i can find is a breakfast bar top 900mm wide.
so i think i have two options
A) join 2 standard 600mm worktops back 2 back, not keen on this as the area will have heavy use and i think the joint will eventually fail.
B) fit sheet of formica over the exsisting worktop

so is it possible to fit formica over formica?
has anyone had any experience doing this, what glue did you use?

The formica factory used to be about 20 miles South of where I live now in a town called Quillan (pronounced Kiyan). Gawd only knows whick part of the East they are now, but yes, it ain't an unknown thing to do.

The basic seems to be is to 'key' the surface and the tip to put the small separators in there when you are putting the new top on look like a really good idea.

Good luck!

If I recall correctly, Steve M in one of his videos uses newspaper as a separator between the 2 pieces and just pulls them out.
This allows him ensure the oversized formica sheet was properly positioned all round, something that might be a bit tricky with timber spacers

Back