For Sale - Record Calvert-Stevens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
If you were at Yandles yesterday you might have seen this:

cs1small.jpg

on the Phillybench, as I've decided to sell it as I don't use it all now as I've gone completely over to LA planes. It's a top of the range Record Calvert-Stevens from the late 80's. This shows another shot of the plane disassembled:

cs2small.jpg

These go for £300+ on the bay because as soon as they were made, they were unusable (and so were sold as collector's items) mainly because they had a casting fault in the form of a bulge just behind the mouth...I've seen one that was .5mm proud :shock: However, this one is very different as it's had the 'Bloke' treatment and has been fully fettled :wink: Normally, you'll see these with the gunmetal lever cap...I don't like them so that came off and was replaced with a brass knob, and a piece of brass was brazed across the offending hole. The blade has been replaced with something a tad better than the original crappy Record offering...as you can see it's a LN A2 blade which is 3.75mm thick. I'm looking for substantially more than £100 for this plane so if anyone's interested, PM me please - Rob

woodbloke":2zbtthyp said:
The blade has been replaced with something a tad better than the original crappy Record offering

Quoting from the old adverts:

"The laminated cutter iron marries a flexible back and hardened cutting edge to provide razor sharp accuracy lasting 8 times longer than conventional irons"

An article/interview/puff of the period adds:

"... laminated cutting iron. A high carbon steel scetion adjacent to the cutting edge retains its edge, while the lower carbon-steel backing gives rigidity. This iron is claimed to have eight times the life of standard cutters."

Whatever the truth of these claims, it appears that this was NOT the same (crappy) iron as fitted to the rest of the Record range of that time.

BugBear

Maybe so, but the LN A2 blade which is nearly 4mm thick is still a lot better than the original :wink: - Rob

woodbloke":5lbjqvvc said:
Maybe so, but the LN A2 blade which is nearly 4mm thick is still a lot better than the original :wink: - Rob

OK - I've heard several reports of the plane being "less than might have been hoped" but not much (one way or the other) on the blade.

The adverts always spoke very highly of all the components :)

BugBear

bugbear":2y2g62w9 said:
The adverts always spoke very highly of all the components :)

Well they would, wouldn't they :wink: I've tried Rob's one and it works particularly well.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Latest posts

Back