For a Charnwood lathe..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Charnwood W811 lathe.

I would like to be able to make these ;

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 4gaOlMzsCQ

...although in this instance for my own purposes.

The lathe has a screw thread mount of (I think!) 18mm.

I would like the jaws (if thats the right expression)to open to at least 2 inch, preferably more.

Can any one advise on what my options are?

Many thanks,

David

I intend to start wth ready to go dowel so I just need to do the point!

:D

Hi David,

I think you want a chuck? There are plenty on the market, from Charnwood's own brand to Axminster's right up to the top of the range Vicmarcs. Really depends on how much you want to spend but I use the Axminster K10 and, with the selection of jaws available I don't think you can go far wrong.

I would guess that your spindle (you say 18mm) is a 3/4" x 16tpi thread, the same as the record lathes, so this is pretty common and should be available in most of the types of chuck on the market.

HTH

Cheers

Richard

Thanks for that.

Inevitably I have to spend the least I can.

Its useful to know the options, though.

Thanks for the hints!

Hi again,

I picked up a Multi Star Dulplex chuck 2nd hand tho' I'm unsure how it works.

The only movement or adjustment seems to be unscrewing the body's two halves. With the two halves are screwed tight the jaws are quite tight with just a few mil of movement.

I wa expecting some adjustment that would open and close the jaws.

Am I missing a part?

Any one?

The chuck

11082010069.jpg

TIA

(for some reason it seems to have bolt where you would screw it onto the lathe)
David

Hi David,

So what you have here is a collet chuck. They work well but you need to be way more accurate with your spigot cutting to get a grip than with a scroll chuck which has a lot more movement.

You can still get parts for your chuck from Hegner: http://hegner.co.uk/system/index.html You will need to experiment with sizing but with practice you should get a very good grip on your work.

Personally I have a scroll chuck, I have spoken to various people who have had/used your type of collet chuck, some love them and will only use them, others just can't get on with them and soon got shot and bought a scroll type.

Best advice is have a play and see how you get on. If you don't like it sell it and put it down to experience.

HTH

Best of luck,

Richard

Ah!

That could explain a lot.

I thought it WAS a scroll chuck.

The write up in my book (Keih Rowley) gives it a very glowing review buts its not working for me atm.

Yes it does fit LW.

As you say it was always an expermient.

Thanks for putting me right before it drove me barmy.

Latest posts

Back