Follow up from Thicknesser Electrics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@HOJ My precious, me wants it, me needs it.

That looks if it’s the 16” width version like the beast if my dreams, what model is it?

Started to clean up all the bits for the morticing attachment.
Just the first layer of "crud" removed.
A.jpg
B.jpg
C.jpg
D.jpg
E.jpg

Those look substantial castings. Brilliant. I’ve not seen the attachment in person, never mind in bits. Eagerly awaiting the next update. Loving it

Deema, you have caused me a lot of work !
As I said, not sure whether I will ever use the attachment, but it is part of the machine - so I decided to revamp the mortiser. You made me feel guilty about scrapping this.
The broken table arm was fixed - "amputated" the broken casting, set up in the mill and set in an M10 stud. Machined up a new section from some stainless bar ( 1 !/2 inch ) drilled an 18 mm hole for the bar and an M10 for the attaching stud. Locked the whole thing up VERY tightly using high strength loctite. It won't move and better than welding with a tiny amount of filler to complete the blend.
Use an angle grinder to blend in the machined stainless to the cast iron section.
I found two of the three gib strips were bent, so managed to "hit" them in the right place with a small thor hammer supported by some1/8 inch packers.and they now straight and polished.
Will do the final painting tomorrow and then allow about three days for the paint to harden. I just love the modern two pack urethane paints !
Like I said, I am never sure I will use this attachment - so this is your fault.
Do I thank you or curse you ?
No, I just respect you ( with some reluctance ) and you were right.
I will post some more pics - just so you can gloat at being right.

Last edited:
Wow, that looks superb, brilliant job, well done.
Just one problem, no saw dust, we now need you to show us what it does, as I’m curious to find out how easy it is to set and use……..go in, you know you just got to try it out.

Wow, that looks superb, brilliant job, well done.
Just one problem, no saw dust, we now need you to show us what it does, as I’m curious to find out how easy it is to set and use……..go in, you know you just got to try it out.
So now, I have to start building these Koji trays.
Herself has decided to go for 16 large trays.
That equates to 64 mortice and tenon joints.
I have not been able to obtain Japanese cedar in Aus, but I found a large amount of red and white cedar just 3 Km up the road. It's been under a shed for about 20 years and looks really bad.
I took a piece home today and fired up "the beast" - first run since revamp. Ended up with some rather nice timber.
Also tried out the tenon cutter, which worked well - but I need a bigger diameter cutter to get enough cutting speed to make a smooth cut.
Over the next couple of weeks I will get a stock of this wood and start the process.
If there is any interest I will post pics
Hey, Deema, I guess I did find a use after all !

@sawtooth-9 Very very very very interested. I’ve heard that they are brilliant bits of kit. Can you post a video if it working?

The saga of the Koji trays continues.
I tried to obtain some Japanese cedar ( the traditional wood ) , but alas no luck.
So settled on Western Red Cedar - which is very expensive here.
My best source was in Sydney ( 500 Km trip each way ) - and a great reason to see my grandkids.
Today, I re-set the planer blades and managed to get them parallel to the base table within 2 thou over the 16 inch width - that's good enough for me !
Dressed down the material for the sides of the trays to within 2 thou of the desires 2 inch x 1/2 inch. I was pretty chuffed at that as I have never been able to work to those tolerances in wood before - ( probably not really necessary, but fun )
There was ZERO snipe, ZERO tear out on what is a very soft open grained timber.
Next step in to cut the sides to length and cut the mortices.
Once the mortices are cut, I will set up the tenon cutter on the planer.
I did get a new cutter which in 1 1/2 inch Dia and a 38 mm cutting length - with a 1/2 inch shank.
I have no idea of what sort of cutters were used on this machine, so just went for a reasonable diameter ( to give a good cutting speed for the spindle which is about 5000 RPM
I will post some pics if there is any interest.

Have just done a batch of sides for eight trays.
The next two jobs are thicknessing some 66 mm x 9 mm cedar to a thickness of 5 mm for the base of the trays.
Then there is a centre "bridge" which is fixed under the base and provides a 5 mm "dome" in the base
DE3.jpg

Sawtooth,
I think u need more tools/machines in ur shop......to much wasted space....hahaha.......

I have an Italien made cast iron multi use machine.....
sorry cant rememeber the manufacturer.....and it's under a load of junk and wood.....
hope to get it out early next year.....cant wait to try it out....
was never a fan of multi use machines but his is a pro jobby.....weigh's close to 2 tons, my forklift struggled a bit to move it.....
before this I only had Wadkin seperates.....which I had to sell for the move here......grrrrr.....
I was a bit grummpy and asked her indoor's to find me a bench saw and she came up with this for my birthday.....happy bunny now....
it was on local Facebook....if anyone is interested it was €2,000 delivered.....
dont think I was ripped off......esp as a used Dewalt D27300 goes for €1000 used.....!!!!!!!!!!
Unknown-1.jpeg

Deema, know anything about it......???
IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

T
Sawtooth,
I think u need more tools/machines in ur shop......to much wasted space....hahaha.......

I have an Italien made cast iron multi use machine.....
sorry cant rememeber the manufacturer.....and it's under a load of junk and wood.....
hope to get it out early next year.....cant wait to try it out....
was never a fan of multi use machines but his is a pro jobby.....weigh's close to 2 tons, my forklift struggled a bit to move it.....
before this I only had Wadkin seperates.....which I had to sell for the move here......grrrrr.....
I was a bit grummpy and asked her indoor's to find me a bench saw and she came up with this for my birthday.....happy bunny now....
it was on local Facebook....if anyone is interested it was €2,000 delivered.....
dont think I was ripped off......esp as a used Dewalt D27300 goes for €1000 used.....!!!!!!!!!!
View attachment 146363
Deema, know anything about it......???
View attachment 146361
View attachment 146362
That's a serious bit of gear - hope you have enough amps.
Notice you have a manual star delta start, but still need some "grunt"
What is is width of the planer ?
There seem to be quite a few Italian machines, similar to SCM but all branded differently.
Yours is not SCM or SICMA - but looks like it is meant for heavy duty work.

Back