fly press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its normally sold in packs, 1KG, 5kg. As with most things, bigger packs means cheaper per rod.

A look at a supplier, 64 rods/kg, a 1kg pack is about £25.

In 316, which is food/marine grade.

For such a small flattened end a two part die and a lump hammer would do the job easily. This is a simple little punch and die I made to dish some 0.7mm steel sheet, one blow with a hammer was all it took.

IMAG0059.jpg

You could even flatten the end with several blows of a hammer and then just linish (belt sand) to shape.

J

Could you heat the metal and use a metalworking vice/anvil?
Then the pein of a ball-pein hammer?

I thought fly-presses needed a die to form shapes.
Oooo... I missed Jason's pic. Like that die f'rinstance?

:?

I am going to try the welding rod, and experiment with one or two other materials and the heat/hammer combo.

Jason- how did you make your die out of interest?

If the welding rod doesn't work out I was thinking about bronze - and especially PB102. This is the alloy that I have in mind to use as plane sides in future because its qualities are as follows:

"Cold Working of Bronze alloy PB102
Cold working response of Bronze alloy PB102 is excellent.

Hot Working of Bronze alloy PB102
Hot formability of Bronze alloy PB102 is poor.

Heat Treatment of Bronze alloy PB102
Solution treatment or annealing of Bronze alloy PB102 can be done by rapid cooling after heating to 500-700°C.

Machinability
The machinability rating of Bronze alloy PB102 is rated as poor at 20 compared to Alloy 360 FC Brass which is rated as 100.

Welding and Joining of Bronze alloy PB102
· Soldering, brazing and butt welding of Bronze alloy PB102 are rated as “excellent”.

· Oxyacetylene welding, seam welding and coated metal arc welding are rated as “fair”.

· Spot welding and gas shielded arc welding are rated as “good”.

Applications of Bronze alloy PB102
Bronze alloy PB102 is typically used in:

· Gears
· Worm Gears
· Bushes
· Marine applications
· Aircraft applications
· Chemical applications
· Springs"

It could be annealed before working and work hardened, er, by working. If the above is anything to go by, even have spring qualities. And of course, no rust.
My local supplier is here: http://www.johnkeatleymetals.com/PB102%20rod.html
But I'm sure there is somewhere closer to you.

Back