Flaring steel - pressure?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahsb

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m trying to flare some 1.6mm thick mild steel pipe. I’m trying to get it like this picture.

I’m under the impression that to do this, I need to press it. My question is, how much pressure would be required to press 1.6mm thick mild steel pipe like this? This way I can buy the appropriate arbor/hydraulic press to do the job.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1132.jpeg
    IMG_1132.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 0
Are you just talking about the tube in the photo or the prongs as well ? If it’s just the tube ends you need to flare you can easily achieve this with an engineers vice . I’ve done this to steel and copper pipes and 1.6 mm is not difficult to do by hand .. the spikes/ prongs would need a different approach

I would say flattened rather than flared, a flared end is like this

1698077432899.png
but as said a vice would do the job or even a large pair of grips and some metal to prevent teeth marks.

Its me, I know, why would someone join a woodworking forum, ask a question about metalworking and claim to be on the moon :dunno:

I must admit I too was flummoxed by this post.

We shouldn't take the mickey, especially out of a new joiner. We don't "know" him/her, or what he/she knows or doesn't know.

But just for clarity, the use of the word FLARE is completely wrong/misleading here - as Spectric has already pointed out (that IS a flare in his picture)!

So if you Ahsb are reading this, and IF you are REALLY a serious new member with a serious enquiry, there are enough good-hearted and knowledgeable folk on here to help you "seriously" - wood or metal.

So assuming the post IS serious, please say exactly WHAT you're trying to do (just "bend" or "flatten" something - there are examples of both processes in your photo); AND tell us if your "1.6 mm thick" refers to the inside or outside diameters (doubtful!), and/or if it's the tube wall thickness you mean); AND lastly say what the job is/will be used for please.

Personally I'll assume that if there's no reply from Ahsb within, say, a couple of days, I'll assume the first post is "just" some sort of joke.

Last edited:
Hi all, I’m trying to flare some 1.6mm thick mild steel pipe. I’m trying to get it like this picture.

I’m under the impression that to do this, I need to press it. My question is, how much pressure would be required to press 1.6mm thick mild steel pipe like this? This way I can buy the appropriate arbor/hydraulic press to do the job.

Thanks!
As Bingy Man says just squash it in a big vice. Be careful if you are using welded tube, and get the weld positioned in the middle of the flat section. If the weld ends up on one of the sides it may split. You can heat it up to make it easier, but not really necessary for thin stuff like that.

Back