Flushed Away!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PerranOak

Established Member
Reaction score
I have one of those Japanese flushcut saws.

It's fine for reallt thin protrusions but if the item is a little thicker, I find it marks the surface.

Am I holding it like a dill or something?

Just a quick question is it a true flush cut saw or a Ryoba? I have a Ryoba which I thought I could use for flush cuts. However the teeth do have set on mine (either side) so it marrs the work if I try to cut off say a dowel. True flush cut saws will have no set or only set one way like the veritas one for example.

Try pressing the blade flat on some scrap timber and push or pull it approx one inch. If you end up with a score the the entire length of the blade then it's got a set. If, however, you end up with an inch long score (or intermittent) teeth have a "set" - perhaps through damage.

Cheers all.

There does seem to be a difference between sides and between the top and bottom!

It's so flimsy, I must've damaged it - can't see it though.

Thank you.

Hi Perran Oak,
easiest way to see if a saw has any set is to hold it up against a light source or light background.
If you hold it at an angle so that you are looking at the very edge of the saw, ie, the opposite edge to which the teeth are on, and tilt very very slightly, you will see the set of the teeth sticking up against the light source.
Flip it over or tilt it in the opposite direction and it will show you if the other side is set as well.

hope this helps.

cheers,
Andy

Latest posts

Back