Flue jabs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david123

Established Member
Reaction score
Every year I have my flue jab and every year I suffer flue like symptoms for a couple of days, am I the only one? Everybody else I know that has them seems to get away Scott free :(
Today is my second day of being Mr Grumpy.

Hi Phil
Seems to me that is all that everybody else to get. I suppose I should just man up and get on with it lol.

david123":5aa8tm62 said:
Every year I have my flue jab and every year I suffer flue like symptoms for a couple of days, am I the only one? Everybody else I know that has them seems to get away Scott free :(
Today is my second day of being Mr Grumpy.

That's why I won't have the jab. I can catch 'flu easily enough thanks, without a 'vaccination', although I don't get about like I used to, and an insular existence is one way of avoiding sniffles and snuffles. So far so good. :D

Cheers

Ive never had any side effects, other than a slight lightening of the wallet in Sainsburys.

As it is only able to cover a few strains, as predicted by the WHO, I always wonder whether it is worth doing. Running my own business, I try to avoid any risks of being off sick so I guess it could help preventing flu.

Up until last year I was a NHS firs responder and was booked in to have my flue Jab every year. Having moved here to Devon I didn't need to have it, but, I thought it was better getting a couple of days "tester" flue rather than the real thing.

From the .gov web site.

Are there side effects?

Mild side effects usually begin soon after you get the vaccine and last one to two days. Possible mild side effects of the flu shot include:

Soreness, redness, and swelling at the injection site
Fainting, mainly in adolescents
Headaches
Fever
Nausea

Possible mild side effects of the nasal spray include:

Runny nose
Wheezing
Headache
Vomiting
Muscle aches
Fever

Serious side effects usually begin within a few minutes to a few hours after receiving the shot. Possible serious side effects of vaccination include:

Difficulty breathing
Hoarseness
Swelling around the eyes or lips
Hives
Paleness
Weakness
Racing heart
Dizziness
Behavior changes
High fever

Just received my annual reminder to have Flu jab
Never had one and don't plan on starting with them

However..... is there an inoculation to stop me accumulating old hand planes ?

If so please don't tell Mrs Cordy :lol: :oops:

Yes, there are side-effects.

Both of us have the jab now - she's a medic and I'm on an immunosuppressant drug. She gets rotten, semi-flu symptoms for a few days (i.e. now, as she had it last Thursday). So far, I haven't.

But it's a different jab each year, as the popular 'flu strain changes. Mine isn't until next month (need to book it!), so if I'm still alive I'll report back.

Thing is, if you're in an at-risk group, it might be a good idea...

E.

Cordy":c4dydju4 said:
Just received my annual reminder to have Flu jab
Never had one and don't plan on starting with them

However..... is there an inoculation to stop me accumulating old hand planes ?

If so please don't tell Mrs Cordy :lol: :oops:

If there is I want some. I just made an impulse buy of a Record T5. T'ain't got a side 'andle though!

So I'll use my drill press to turn one up eh?

:mrgreen:

Been having a jab for the last 5 years after being dragged to the doctors by my wife as I had a very nasty bout of something or other and was told she would not be my nurse again unless I had it. Never had any reaction to it and thankfully never had a cold since. I also had a call from the doctors saying I was eligible for a shingles jab which I had and again no reaction :D :D

Alan.

You could make a movie of it if you don't mind

..........then I could have a try

Cordy":28wpkt5i said:

You could make a movie of it if you don't mind

..........then I could have a try

Hi Cordy..

That is an idea, but the problem is I wouldn't know where to start in the making of a video. My phone camera is utter rubbish, and stops partway through a recording. My Nikon Digital Camera records only 3 minute runs, and so isn't much good either.

I haven't a clue how chaps like G. Haydon do these videos that show them sawing at blistering speeds; which might get around the Nikon's problem! Also you don't want to listen to a Brum, talking about woodworking. Unless I do it in a nice Oxford English accent! Gnarf! Gnarffff! 8)

So what I intend to do is chuck a suitable blank in the quill, and use a rasp to shape the handle. For reference I'll use a picture I saw on an old tool site, to get the right shape.

I'll post the results on UKW if it 'turns' out okay! (No pun on 'turns', intended by the way, and I can't think of another way to express it!.) :lol:

Back