FLIP ULTRA HD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy1970

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here got a Flip video camera ? we are off to Disney later this year and I thought I would get a camera before we go. I had a JVC mini dv camera but never really used it as you had to carry all the case and gubbins around with you and I just never bothered. With these new pocket ones it seems just like carrying your mobile phone around with you so no hassle at all.

Are they any good thats the question I was thinking of the UltraHD model and if we are away and use up the 2hrs of memory can you download it onto a portable hard drive or something while away ?

Most will come with a USB2 connection sticking out the bottom, or with a cable to save the data to a laptop, desktop, external drive, whatever, as long as it's got a USB2 female connection that'll do. Some also have firewire, but that's not such a universal connection method as USB2.

I've got a Sony HDR-TG5V which fits in my shirt pocket and shoots in AVCHD. I burn the edited results to Blu-ray and they really are good :)

Bear in mind that there may be little point in going for a full HD camera, as you'll reduce the quality to standard definition as soon as you burn it onto a DVD. For full HD archiving, Blu-ray is currently the only domestic option, so a standard def. recorder may be all that you need.

Ray

the flip;s are fine if you just want cheap no frills video - wont be that great quality, igniore the HD part - look at the lens! Good for youtuibe though.

if the budget wont stretch to a sony video camera, have a look into to stills cameras that offer video - I would recomend either canon or sony

ensure that you get an SD card class 6 or above, otherwise it wont save the video quick enough and it will stutter

the results will be much better than with the flip!

we have bought the small panasonic HDC-TM10 for first year multimedia students for their video work

They did a reveiw & a challenge on the gadet show last night out of the 3 the flip HD came last can't remember what the other 2 were possible a samsung & a sony but I am sure you could catch a repeat somewhere.

Just watched their review (I always watch it after recording on the Sky box to avoid the rubbish)

Anyway, they really didn't like the flip HD, quite liked the sanyo and really liked the Kodak.

If it were me I'd get the Sanyo for the 10x optical zoom even though the controls are a bit more fiddly than the Kodak.

i watched it last night and then went and ordered the kodak playsport their winner of the test. Looks good and managed to get it for £105 inc delivery from pixmania. Cheers just gotta order an sd card now when i decide what size and make to go for.

Yeah I thought that too Pete 2 x 8gb or something like that then if one goes kaput I dont lose everything.

That card seems really expensive I have seen much cheaper 8GB ones but not the extreme, is it that it just reads and writes faster or something ?

They are good quality cards which are pretty hardy and just work well.
Generally reckoned to be among the best if not the best.
You can probably get them cheaper than Amazon - that was just as a reference, but google will be your friend.

I use Sandisk Extreme III CF cards in my camera exclusively and have never had any issues.

Cheers for the advice Pete. The camera turned up today, very impressed with the build quality just need to sort out ordering the sd card, I do have a 1gb card to try it out with.

Chris

Latest posts

Back