Flattening metal plane soles.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am finding it difficult to obtain a piece of float glass of the correct size, to use for flattening metal plane-soles. No one seems inclined to sell me any, not even as an off cut. (They all seem to want me to buy more than one, or a large sheet!)

I have a large piece of 10mm aluminium sheet that might serve, but would this be accurate enough to use without further surfacing work?

Failing that I do have some 10mm Tufnol sheet? That is easily as flat as MDF, which I have seen recommended. (I am leary of that suggestion though, because water and MDF don't mix.)

I thought that if I supported the Tufnol with 25mm MDF it should do the job.

Any help from the knowledgeable would be appreciated, as I don't wish to contaminate my machine tables with abrasives.

Thanks in anticipation folks
Be lucky

John

:)

Hi John

I find that surprising. Up to about 10mm thick I just walk into the local glass merchants and ask them to cut me a piece of plain glass, give them the dimensions and I ask them "safety" the edges (quickly grind the sharp edges off, though not polished). If anyone asked I'd just say it's to replace the glass in a display cabinet I'm repairing...... although to date no one has.

Benchwayze":1nks2vv9 said:
Failing that I do have some 10mm Tufnol sheet? That is easily as flat as MDF, which I have seen recommended.
Believe me Tufnol is far from flat (MDF also). To get an acceptable surface on Tufnol jigs on the CNC I always have to skim both sides a few hundredths (and as all eight console bars on the machine had two Tufnol strips each I got lots of practice). I actually found MDF to be flatter than either birch ply or Tufnol. But as you say it doesn't like water

Scrit

John

I have just bought a piece of 6mm plate glass 300 x 300 for £3 from a supplier just up the road from me in Redditch. They can get thicker to order but they stock 6mm and will cut what ever size you need.

Send me a PM if you are interested and I will send you their number and address.

Bob

Thanks gents:

Maybe I should have tried to find an old-time ironmongers instead of visiting the big glazing firms.

I am obliged for the info of course.
Best Wishes gents.
John :)

went into local glaziers today and got a piece of 10mm float glass 12in x 12in and he only charged me £1 i think you should try a different glazing shop

Many plane soles are so bad that you will get a huge improvement , even if your surface is not perfect.

A Pilkington glass supplier should be perfectly happy to cut and polish the edges of 10 or 12 mm float glass.

Really, a high quality straightedge is the only way of checking flatness.

Not many have a large engineer's surface plate.

Hollow soles don't work.

Flat or minutely convex do.

David Charlesworth

How about a car breakers, a side window could be a handy size and if you drop at anytime you always get a pretty pattern.

John,
Granite surface plate are really quite cheap these days. I got one from Tilgear ages ago - can't remember what it cost but it seemed like bargain at the time.

I bought one from here some time ago they do different sizes this one is 18 x 12 x3 ebay link

The glass thing can be a problem. I tried to get offcuts from lots of suppliers here and they didn't want to know as soon as I went up to 10mm it was priced to size and not cheap. Glass will flex considerably so you need to put your flat glass on something flat :shock:

Alan

You could always just replace your table saw with this one, should it ever land here. Kills two bids with one stone :roll:

Scrit

Back