Flat Roof problem ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, nothing to do with woodworking but this is off topic and maybe some of you with the knowledge about such horrible things as flat roofs might be able to advise me.

I have a flat roof that is 22' x 22' covered in 1/2" sterling board and a single layer of green mineral felt and it is leaking, I don't know where the water is getting in as all the joints were sealed with fibreglass based sealer but it is and I'm wondering what to do about it. I have the choice of stripping it all and starting again but in this hot weather with no shade I will have melted before the felt, option 2 is to re-cover it all with fresh felt or option 3 apply Roofix treatment, to the existing felt surface, which is a fibreglass based sealer or whatever other idea you can come up with ?

(My budget is £150 tops)

Cheers

I had the same problem with my workshop but when I put the last thick felt on top it stopped, so I would say leave what is on there and put on same more :)
Ps I could not find the leak my self :roll:
Some one that has done more might put me right if I have it wrong :wink:

If its a flat roof you should be using three layers with the top one being green mineral to reflect heat. You can get away with one layer of decent weight green mineral if the slope is 10 degrees or more and the joints are sealed along the non mineral coated edge.

Mind how you go on the roof, 12mm sterling board is a bit on the thin side and will be even weaker if you have had leaks :(

Jason

I have had good results from the' wickes' two layer system you prime the wood then after one hour roll out the special thick felt that you can not rip it sticks instantly ( you remove a protective sheet) and when you look at the job you think its finished but the second layer mineral covered does that .There is a info available from wickes 20 year life not cheap but good .

Latest posts

Back