Fitting new blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There don't seem to be any cheap stamps which are decorative, unfortunately. Penny stamps just have a picture of the Queen's head. The latest set of stamps would be nice to use but at 60p each, they're too expensive. I have thought of copying and printing them out but I'm not sure what the quality would be like. Moreover, it rather defeats the purpose of the exercise which is to make a miniature jigsaw from a common artifact in the style of Carter.

With apologies to Jimi for inadvertently changing the subject of this thread, let me try to answer the questions you kind folks have posed.

I have an ordinary DeWalt scroll saw and, as I said, the blades are jewelers' blades. It's hard to tell which way the teeth point until I put the blade in the saw and tighten the tension. Even so, I break two blades for every one I can get to last five or six stamps. I'd be willing to bet I've cut 2000 or more of these bird 1-cent stamps. They went out of print three or four years ago and I've been paying increasingly higher prices over the internet from collectors.

The stamp is one inch tall (25 mm) and 13/16" or 23 mm wide. The wood I prefer is 5-ply, 1/4" poplar, though any 1/4" wood will work.

Here is an amateurish video (I made a few years ago of my fingers cutting one of these, along with my voice describing what I'm doing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88botpX0aSI

If you have further questions you want to ask directly, feel free to email me at [email protected].

Hope this helps. ..... Carter

Very much enjoyed looking at that video, Thank you for that it was incredible as far as i am concerned, those blades you are using seem very tiny to me, oh well we can all dream to do that sort of thing and thanks again for posting the video!
:|

Regards Ted...

Excellent video, the pieces are so small! I'd like to have a try after I get some practice under my belt, using the picture postage stamps we get over here. I was thinking... When you buy a new packet of blades (I haven't yet as I got some with my saw) should they not be all packeted the same way up? Then all you would have to do is find out the saw direction on the one and then mark the packet. I suppose it depends on how there produced.

Gary

don't forget it is illegal to deface the Queens head! Sawing her up will get you locked in the tower.

Back