Fish Hot Pot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMac

Established Member
Reaction score
I did an experiment today and it worked out fine.

Picture001.jpg

Easy.

1lb White Fish - cubed (I used those frozen blocks and softened in microwave)
1 Can condensed Mushroom Soup
1 Red Pepper - chopped/sliced
4oz Frozen Peas
1/2 Teaspoon Paprika (or more to taste)
Boiled Sliced Potatoes
Some melted butter (microwave)

In a pot - soften red pepper, add paprika, add mushroom soup, fish, peas, salt & pepper to taste. Add splash of milk if sauce is too thick.

Boil sliced spuds until just giving when poked with fork.

Oven set to Gas 5, 180C, 350F

Pour sauce in dish, layer potato slices on top, brush with butter and bake for about an hour until top golden and a bit crispy.

Picture002.jpg

Next time I will use mushrooms instead of a red pepper. I think it would work better.

Brendan

How about, instead of the mushroom soup, make a simple bechamel sauce, possibly with some fish stock? Then add sliced mushrooms to keep up the umami.

Spinach in the hotpot works well, too.

Yep, that would work well because that's what I usually do but, today, I was feeling lazy so used the soup. When I do that version I mash the potato and bake it like a Shepherds Pie. I also leave out the Paprika but put in 4-6 hard-boiled eggs.

Brendan

I like the eggs, but Mrs S doesn't, so we leave them out. It's a very comforting dish.

Different stuff, but I came across the Teviot Pie this week. Like a Shepherd's Pie but with a suet crust...

Has to be done.

Sainsburys fish counter do a fish and shell fish assortment for the ingredients of a similar dish I have found satisfying as well.

BTW if you go over to a well known cooking forum, be wary, some of the ladies are like sharks over there. :wink:

Back