First lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jenx":16sxev2x said:
"Buy the best you can afford".

This is what I'm trying to do. The difficulty seems to be in identifying what is best for the money I have. :-( I'll leave my savings in the mattress until I'm sure.

Would it be fair to say there is an element of swings and roundabouts in this?

Al

UnicycleBloke":3ef26ino said:
Would it be fair to say there is an element of swings and roundabouts in this?

And a great number of slippery slopes!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Sorry - forum in joke, couldn't resist it)

S

Blister":3mx5vprm said:
Record seem to pick up the pieces along the way

The CL range was formerly made by CORONET now made by ?? and sold by Record complete with a colour change from Blue to Green

The original Coronet Lathes (CL) were green. Turned blue by Record when they bought them and later back to green.

My first lathe was the Coronet No 3 (Record CL3) and I turned professionally on that for 8 (?) years. It was a great lathe, very versatile and capable of turning some very large pieces (24 inch diameter 8 inches deep one time) and that was before variable speed :lol:

Hi Al,

I am a relative newbie at woodturning.

My first lathe was a very old Myford ML8 which got me started ok. It's motor gave up the ghost at the same time as I got a bit of a rebate from the tax man, so I was able to upgrade.
After taking much advice, both from on here and at the club I attend, I plumped for a Record CL 4 (variable speed) with cam lock, bench, and bowl turning attachment. This package used up my budget :roll:

I have to say I am very happy with my lathe, and can't see me wanting to upgrade anytime soon.

If you want to know anything specific about the CL4, PM me.

Malc :D

P.S. In my experience, if you ask half a dozen woodturners for an opinion, you'll get half a dozen different opinions :lol:

I have a Record CL 3 having upgraded from a DML lathe. I am very happy with it because it does what I bought it for, to turn wood. I haven't had any problems with either lathe and the CL3 is within most peoples budget which in this day and age is very important.

If you can afford a CL4, I'd have a look at an Axminster AWVSWL 1200.
For £80.00 more you'll get a lathe that IMHO is three times better.
Has a spec higher than a JET 1642 costing £468.00 more.
I've had one for about a year now, and I think it's far superior to our club Graduates.

John. B

big soft moose":ktnxkfq9 said:
-- the whole sorry saga can be found in the scrolling board but the short version is that their quality control sucked like a ten dollar Peach[/quote:ktnxkfq9 said:
AND, Sir, What were you doing with a $10.00 Peach??
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jaco":2dbq4i20 said:
big soft moose":2dbq4i20 said:
-- the whole sorry saga can be found in the scrolling board but the short version is that their quality control sucked like a ten dollar Peach[/quote:2dbq4i20 said:

PAY $10 and find out :wink:

Blister":1ze3148s said:
Jaco":1ze3148s said:
big soft moose":1ze3148s said:
-- the whole sorry saga can be found in the scrolling board but the short version is that their quality control sucked like a ten dollar Peach[/quote:1ze3148s said:

PAY $10 and find out :wink:

now now guys this is not what is meant by "the slope"

I was in exactly the same conundrem (is that spelt right?) when looking for my first Lathe.

I was wanting shiney new as I thought it would give me backing etc.

the advise on here was great and I ended up with a lovely huge Hegner HDB200XL with all the add on and upgrades, for a price just above the new mid to high Records/Axminsters.

Now here is an offer as such

due to a massive lifestyle change ( in process of splitting with fiance and now having to comprehend a life without a shed) I MAY (I say may as a lot will be discussed worked on and big life choices) be selling this all in, along with some other tools potentially.

as you are in the research process and mention some time delay, let me know if you (or anyone on here) are interested at any point in the future.

Ultimately I may get lucky and be able to keep it all, I may not, as said I have a lot of life decisions to make (you can tell it wasn't my decision) so watch this space.

irrespective of my offer - I can only reccomend keeping in mind a second hand top machine over a shiney new far east model.

it is going to be painful giving up this new found hobby.

all the best

Joe

Joelondon":2l6o2lc2 said:
I was in exactly the same conundrem (is that spelt right?) when looking for my first Lathe.

I was wanting shiney new as I thought it would give me backing etc.

the advise on here was great and I ended up with a lovely huge Hegner HDB200XL with all the add on and upgrades, for a price just above the new mid to high Records/Axminsters.

Now here is an offer as such

due to a massive lifestyle change ( in process of splitting with fiance and now having to comprehend a life without a shed) I MAY (I say may as a lot will be discussed worked on and big life choices) be selling this all in, along with some other tools potentially.

as you are in the research process and mention some time delay, let me know if you (or anyone on here) are interested at any point in the future.

Ultimately I may get lucky and be able to keep it all, I may not, as said I have a lot of life decisions to make (you can tell it wasn't my decision) so watch this space.

irrespective of my offer - I can only recommend keeping in mind a second hand top machine over a shiny new far east model.

it is going to be painful giving up this new found hobby.

all the best

Joe

Joe

Sorry to here your news :(

You should have no problem selling the lathe as you say it a good machine in good condition as well , so not much use by the original owner

Hope it works out for the better any you can keep your kit :p

I'm very sorry to hear your news, Joe. Ironically, getting splat from the wife is the occasion for me taking up this hobby! I hope you don't have to give up the Hegner. I've seen one close up, and it's the business. Some of your mates have sheds, right?

I've been grateful for all the advice and experiences people have offered in this thread. I think I am now much better informed. And, as it happens, I have today bought a Tyme Avon from another member of the group. I think this just what I need for now. I'm still waiting to move house, so I won't have space to spin it up for a while. :-(

Al

Latest posts

Back