First Garden Bench - almost complete WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alan,

Softwood is often a little hit and miss when it comes to staining with most dyes.
Also, have you wiped away any 'glue-run' from the area that is resisting stain?

Once glue gets on to the surface, and you wipe it off, some glue is pushed into the grain and the area becomes resistant to stain. (Wherever possible, I stain before assembly.)

Take a scraper, (or a plane blade used backwards), to the stripe. A touch of sanding and then try staining again. That sometimes works.

HTH
John :)

it's definitely not glue. and it was all sanded the same as the rest of the bench. it's kind of like it's 'sappy' or 'waxy.

but thanks for the advice, i'll bear it in mind. :)

I have had this many of times with "redwood" Not sure what causes it, i bet its a resin of some sort. It can be annoying but sometimes it can be a nice characteristic. Finishes that sit on the surface rather then soak in are generally better to cover these.

alan2001":1daluj11 said:
think about what the feet will sat on and how much moisture will 'wick' up the grain.

yes... any tips on that? the plan was simply to use several coats of the same oil. what else can I do to protect the feet better without spoling the look - varnish?

thanks for all the comments so far.

When I built my adirondack chair I made it out of softwood I had knocking about and painted it. I used some bits of pressure treated timber fastened to the bottom of the legs with the grain running at a right angle to the leg. That way there is no end grain on the floor and it has held up well in all weathers (no rot yet).

Adirondack chair

regards

Brian

hmmm... I have to say, painting it green is a bit of a deviation from the original design! but i get your point, thanks, and will remember it for the future.

i'm gonna have to just 'let go', get it finished, and learn from my mistakes.

thanks for all advice so far. :)

Back