first ever

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phill joiner

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally got my lathe set up over the xmas break and produced this pot. It's 125mm in diameter and 90mm tall. Made from american white oak and sapele sections.
Didn't think it was bad for my very first attempt at turning.
I've now ordered a back plate which will make life easier to keep things centred.

Attachments

• bowl 006.JPG
    bowl 006.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 964
That is excellent for your first attempt =D>
I presume it is a lidded pot, do you have another picture with the lid removed?

leisurefix":12v04e4t said:
That is excellent for your first attempt =D>
I presume it is a lidded pot, do you have another picture with the lid removed?

The inside is only roughed out at the moment. I'm going to finish the inside when my back plate arrives tomorrow.
I learnt allot from doing this one. My next one I think I'll use 30 degree pieces for the rings so there is less end grain.
Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Very impressive for your first try. To go for sectional turning as a first effort is a bold choice but you seem to have got the joints tight. Well done. I am sure there will be lots of advice from people far more qualified than myself but my suggestion would be to practice with spindle turning until confident with the tools. As you point out, end grain is difficult to get to grips with. Keep up the good work and good luck. I am sure you will enjoy truning.

By back plate I'm assuming you are referring what is usually called a Faceplate and do not yet have a chuck.

If this is the case then on the next attempt try and finish both inner and outer surfaces before you dismount a piece such as a box or bowl, it is very difficult to re-align a piece 100% for returning even when using sound wood and a good chuck, virtually impossible with a faceplate.

If all you have is a faceplate for re-mounting then fix a piece of sacrificial wood to the faceplate and make a Jam Chuck mounting to aid alignment of your work for finishing.

Regarding End Grain, if you are having difficulty with torn grain then try soaking in sanding sealer before final cuts, this swells and supports the fibres so that they present better to the cutting edge.

Thanks for the tips CHJ. It was your avatar picture that inspired me to start segmented bowl turning.
Any tips for making a jam chuck....I was thinking of routing grooves in a cross with sliding battens with rubber hooks on the end which can be screwed into place.

Yes sorry Faceplate. I had to turn a 25mm dowel onto a block of wood and glue it to the bottom of the bowl so I could clamp it in the chuck. But it wobbled all over the place, So had to clamp it in which stopped me getting access to the inside for cleaning up.

The end grain thing is that I was just getting a bit excited and trying to take to much off in one go. More practice needed me thinks. Sanding sealer is a good tip to know though just in case.

Phill joiner":3uno18bx said:
Thanks for the tips CHJ. It was your avatar picture that inspired me to start segmented bowl turning.
Any tips for making a jam chuck.....
It's a great way to add your own personal input to the appearance of a finished piece and provide additional brain cell stimulus rather than just spinning a bland block of wood.
It's also a great way to use up offcuts of timber without getting over fussy with elaborate designs, you will have a few disappointments at times if wood or joints split, but like all learning curves, noting grain direction and counteracting weak joint strengths with assembly methods becomes part of the satisfaction when it stays stable.

Number one consideration, make sure the wood is dry before glue up, joints in compression due to moisture uptake rarely fail.
If stock is small, place on radiator for a few days before final sizing or if the boss is not looking, place it in the plate warming draw or second oven whilst the Sunday lunch is roasting. Find a friend with an Aga cooker and cool oven.

Regarding Jamb Chucks, just Google or search UKW, Links like this will give you some ideas.

You mention that you have a chuck, what type and what accessory jaws do you have?
Have a look at the last few entries in the Projects listing here for some ideas/methods of holding and locating pieces whilst assembling and finish turning.

Think about which areas you had problems with and try to develop a method of working that lets you repeat the process on the next item without having to spend time re-inventing a holding method.
After a few pieces you will suddenly see the light and find a simpler way or order of doing it, so much depends upon what equipment and tools you have, try to develop your existing tool use to do the job rather than going out and buying a new toy until such times as you have several dozen items completed and get a true feel for what you need to progress.

Back