First big tool purchase? £800 budget

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice jig link there, thanks.

Though should I go for this table saw I will probably look to buy a spare and cut it down if a suitable one can't be purchased.

Mango
Riving knife, I bought a spare one from eBay and cut it down
To be honest I can't remember what I used it for #-o but it doesn't get used now

Also I have considered a a table saw with a sliding table facility as per MikeJhn above but this will require a larger foot-print than the 745
Cheers
Cordy

Cordy":hn1ahoqa said:
Mango
Riving knife, I bought a spare one from eBay and cut it down
To be honest I can't remember what I used it for #-o but it doesn't get used now

Also I have considered a a table saw with a sliding table facility as per MikeJhn above but this will require a larger foot-print than the 745
Cheers
Cordy

Ok, thanks a lot. A larger footprint and of course more cash!

Mangokid was originally looking at a Charnwood 619 or 629 which look like same saw as Axminster ts 250? Have a sliding table so probably don't need the sled.
It's better to have a table that slides right next to the blade but that is when it normally gets more expensive.

The Charnwood 619 is only an 8" so more akin to the Axminster TS 200 and the 629 has a very inferior fence in comparison to the TS 250, but is nearly £100.00 cheaper and has a bigger motor if that matters, what price Axminster legendary after sales?

Mike

MikeJhn":2m5bx8ky said:
Just under £800.00 will buy one of these: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... w-ax943888 complete with cast iron table top and cast iron sliding table, its a perfectly capable table saw, have a look at this thread: axminster-ts250-2-modifications-t102284.html But you don't have to have the side table extension on it.

Mike

Just noticed these last few replies... so you rate this higher than the Charnwood mentioned?

Had looked at this and it appears to tick all the boxes and I could stretch to the price but the reviews seemed mixed and at over twice the price of the contractors saw (if I was to get the ts250 I would get the extras) plus delivery to Northern Ireland, I just wasn't sure if it would be the right call for me as a relative beginner. Though, to be fair, I hadn't looked at the detailed thread on the ts250 so will read it today closely.

I feel I could easily sell the dewalt also if I wanted to upgrade in the future.

Hard decisions!

I don't rate the Axminster TS-250-2 any more than the Charnwood 629 except for the fence, even though they do look similar, what I do rate is the after sales service you will get with Axminster, as to the reviews on the Axminster site, some of those reviews are so inaccurate I doubt that some of the reviewers ever had one, the latest review says the TS-250 has insufficient power for a Freud blade is absolute nonsense, and one chap complaining about its no good as a site saw, I doubt any 86kg saw would be good to lug around unless your Superman.

The Axminster TS-250-2 is a very popular saw, the manufacturer has addressed some of the issues on the earlier version (Mk-1) and made it very capable, its not trade rated so not designed to run all day, but as a hobby saw, for me its perfect.

Mike

Hi MangoKid,

What did you go for in the end? I’m going through the same process now. Live in NI as well so don’t have the luxury of the second hand market.
I’d be keen to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
Andrew

Mango hasn't been around for some time
If you pm him it should meander towards his email inbox

Still got my Dewalt 745 and Metabo mitre saw
Recently bought a Metabo Bandsaw

Must have is a table saw; then M/saw, Bandsaw is a luxury -- imho of course

I'm still thinking of upgrading to Axy or similar table saw and perhaps a larger Metabo Mitre saw -- pure gluttony on my part :oops:

Ha I know what you mean. Hard not to get carried away!!

I bought myself one of the Lidl bandsaws. Been great for all I need it for.

I have a really cheap and nasty table saw now but it has no fence and there is a fair bit of play between the blade and shaft. Does the Dewalt have anything like that? Any reason you wouldn’t recommend the Dewalt?

Thanks!

The reason I keep the Dewalt is because it is very good, especially for a 'site' saw
The fence is brilliant; just dial in your dimension and away you go
Being a brush motor it is noisy, the supplied saw blade is good

Plenty power too - never found it lacking

There's a single phase Startrite 275 in Monaghan for 800 euros..
Provided you have 16 amp sockets to power it.
Not a steal by any means for that price, but it could be got for 500 euros easy as it needs a riving knife, and it dosen't have
the sliding table like what the DS275 has.
And it might not have the extension rails or tables on the right side, which can be swapped to the left side if you wanted.
can't see from the picture
Regarding the riving knife, easy to make with an angle grinder and a file, and there's loads of maneuverability in regards to
mounting it with a really solid mount, so you could make a cardboard or plastic one to make a template from.
Tables probably flatter than any new budget machine.
https://www.gumtree.ie/a-diy-tools/mona ... 0309585709
Tom

I remember when I was looking into cross cut sleds. All were American plans and unguarded I personally thought that was very unsafe, so abandoned the idea. Though in looking ( quite a long time ) I did come across a plan that incorporated a guard and looked perfectly safe. Though as I say, abandoned the idea.

Thanks for the replies here guys. Appreciate the input.

@Cordy, did you build a sled for your Dewalt? If so, any issues with getting guides that fit? I’m leaving towards the Dewalt due to the portability and the fact I’m only ripping hardwood for chopping boards so not big length or width.

Here is my sled and the Bench I cut up with the Dewalt
complete with fingers guard
NHQ8gmfh.jpg

MC9ZOSIh.jpg

edit.... guides no problem

I have also been looking at the Charnwood W619 and W629 but mixed reviews so unsure.

I do use my table saw every day and usage is on par with my mitre saw and router table. Bandsaw doesn't get used as much.

All depends what you're making I suppose.

Depends on what you are making and working practices. Opinions differs from person to person also. If it was me I’d go for best bandsaw I could afford and add a combi planer thicknesses later. Or even just a lunchbox thicknesses, I don’t mind flattening and jointing by hand and you can make sleds for flattening with a thicknesser.

Having said that, I own neither #-o but plan on changing that soon. I do own the Bosch equivalent of the dewalt 745 site table saw. It’s good but I don’t use that often. Don’t think it’s even been out on site with me. I should mention I use a router for a lot of work where a table could be used but a band saw couldn’t (grooving, rebates, etc)

Latest posts

Back