First big project. Which Wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mangokid

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks,

I'm very new to woodworking, built a few small projects with pallet wood and some reclaimed boards etc.

However, I would like to progress onto a bigger project. Building a single bed frame for my son who is moving out of his cot bed. It will be a full size single, as one of us will have to get in with him at times (hopefully not that often!)...

I have a plan selected, a basic farmhouse style bed made of mostly 2x4's, but my question concerns what would be the best wood for the job?

I'm assuming a hardwood? But can anyone suggest the best, most value for money hardwood for the job that is easy enough to work with? I am not so worried about the look of each different wood, and am more concerned about going a good job on a budget.

Also, if I chose to paint the project, what sort of wood would be best? Could I do it with something much cheaper found at say B&Q rather than finding a lumber yard to deal with?

Finally, if anyone from N.Ireland can suggest a place to purchase wood near Belfast/North Down that would be helpful also.

Thanks!

I can't really see any reason for a hardwood, which is likely to be very expensive. I think you're probably best to get joinery grade redwood. This can look very nice in the bare wood. I'd recommend you select each piece yourself but not expect it to stay exactly the same shape. Wood is not a stable material and can move a lot in a short time, particularly when moved to a different environment.

The difference in cost between good "redwood" and most "hardwoods" is fairly high and often not worth it.

I sleep in a "softwood" bed frame that I've had for over 20 years, the mattress probably needs changing but the frame hasn't worn at all. It's probably got a few hundred years worth of use left.

You could try beech if you don't want a pine (ie redwood) bed. It's relatively cheap, hard wearing and nice to work. Also paints well if you get tired of how it looks!

Like Ross, I made a pine kingsize bed 25 years ago, several matresses but bed frame is still sound. Base is 3/4 ply with holes drilled every 200mm which helps keep it solid.

Ok, thanks folks, that's helpful.

I'll certainly price the beech.

But if i go for the redwood, is there anything specific I need to ask for other than "joinery grade redwood"?

I feel like it's better to approach these places at least sounding like you know what you're talking about and really I've been focusing on learning the basics of woodworking without really learning anything about the actual wood so far!

Back