fire saftey

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to make some candle/ tea light holders. can anyone tell me if it is safe to just recess tea lights in or do I have to use glass inserts? :?:

If by "tea lights" you mean those candles that come in little aluminium pots, they should be OK as they are. But bare candles really do need some, preferably metallic, lining to the wooden holder. My daughter was using a candlestick I had made without a metal liner at a party and wondered why the colour of the flame had changed when it burned down to wood level ...... Not sure unintentional pyrography helped the shaping of the candlestick

yes and keep the wire wool out of the way when sharpening tools, wow does that stuff burn hot and slow,a few stray sparks gnited mine from across the shed, the misses thought i was electing a new pope,didnt have a clue till she hammered on the door,its a good job i didnt play deaf.(that time)

Tea lights are safe to burn in a wooden holder providing they have their metal containers still on them and providing the container is higher than the wood so there is no possability of the flame touching the wood.

I prefer to make them with glass inserts, one source is here http://www.opitec.co.uk/cgi/ITARTD?&P_L ... andle&P_8=

If anyone knows of others a link would be appreciated.

john

Graham, seriously, what sort of muppet puts a burning object on anything plastic? That's not the tealight, that's the twit on the other end of the match. :roll: Can we take a little personal responsibility here rather than having a fire officer point out the stark staring obvious ? ](*,)

Cheers, Alf

Alf... there's nowt so daft as folk... :lol:

Stark reality is that tea lights/candles have been the cause of several fire deaths; in these litigious days the seller may be held liable, hence the comment about product liablity insurance :!:

On the basis that someone might remove the tealight from the holder you've sold, put it on the top of the telly and burn the house down? How exactly would you be liable? :?

oldsoke":10hkdd4d said:
... the seller may be held liable, hence the comment about product liablity insurance :!:

Note may... if there's a bob or two in it some lawyer may be able to advise :wink:

Anything with a naked flame is potentially dangerous. Some candlesticks have bases so small for the sake of design, that they can easily fall over. As Graham says, common sense isn't always that common but I think safety is something that we really need to accept responsibility for when designing anything that is going to incorporate a naked flame. Make sure that the object is sturdy, that the flame doesn't get near the wood etc. The one that I have made so far had a glass insert in it from an old incense burner so that the wax and flame doesn't get near the wood and the glass was made to be able to withstand the heat. We read a lot here and in other places about health and safety when using the lathe but we also need to be aware of it with the things that we make and often just give away willy nilly.

Pete (on a pet gripe)

I have made quite a few tea light candle holders and use them fairly frequently in my home. I was uncertain when I made the initial ones whether they would get too hot for the wood, so I deliberately let the tea lights burn until they were completely used up and went out on their own the first few times. I then checked the tea light recess and found no evidence of any problems.

I actually just turned one from black walnut on Sunday.

100_7032-800.jpg

Take care
Bob

right, so, wood not to be lower than top of metal container, glass insert for candles, sturdy base and don't burn wire wool. got ya! I got some nice glass inserts a while ago, they just seem quite 'chunky' for what I was wanting and some more last week but they seem a bit deep. thank you all for the advice! =D>

Thanks, Paul:
I use Clapham's Salad Bowl finish on most of my stuff. It is just a blend of beeswax and mineral oil in the form of a soft paste. Rub it into the wood and buff. Very easy to use.

Bob

Back