Fire prevention!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicktimber

Established Member
Reaction score
I have always had 2 powder extinguishers, and a fire blanket.
One extinguisher is next to the door and the other half way down the shop(garage)
I always try to keep them accessible, and free from obstructions, and always sweep up at night and empty extractor dust and chippings.

It would be interesting to know what other people have by the way of, 'Fire putterouters' and any preventative measures you use??

Mike

I have one powder extinguisher. If a fire is big enough that that doesn't see to it, then sod the tools and the workshop - you can always get more. Best get out at that point and dial 999.

A neighbour up the road had his house burn down within 20 minutes after an electrical fault set light to fuel oil. Luckily the brave man got all his family out - the fire was so hot it melted his daughters clothes into a solid lump in the wardrobe in a room where there was ostensibly no flames.

Know your limits - but then I say that about tiling too! :lol:

Cheers

Tim

I have two fire extinguishers in my shop. I've never had to use them but they have a dial gauge on them and a handwritten date of testing - 1992. I suspect they need replacing.

One is by my bench and one is at the far end of the workshop

I hope I never need to use them.

Tim, I didn't know that sheep had houses :)
S

My advice would be to have at least one water extinguisher in your workshop or, possibly, an AFFF extinguisher.
You could also find a CO2 extinguisher useful.

Given the likely untidiness of a pile of wood a powder extinguisher might not be as useful as you think if you have something burning within it.

Personally, I have a hose coiled up just outside the door and permanently connected to a tap.
Cheers,

SF

Had a workshop go up in flames when I used to do car restoration for a living. Not nice, very depressing to be honest, and there's pipper all you can do to stop it once it gets going. Even the Fire Brigade had to use foam to put it out. So.. if it's small then use an extinguisher otherwise just get the hell out. You would be gobsmacked at just how fast a smallish fire can escalate inside a workshop.

I used to service fire extinguishers for a living so can offer a bit of advice here. Firstly, in my own workshop, i have a CO2 extinguisher and a fire blanket next to the door.As has already been said, if a fire is too big for one appliance then get the hell out of there....fast !!. The rationale for siting appliances by the door is that by reaching the door before tackling a fire you have secured an escape route first. Premises that have appliances at locations between doors are really providing some means for people to clear a way to an escape route first and foremost, although most people believe that the appliances are there to put out a fire. - Yes, but save your self first.
Steve, your extinguisher is a stored pressure type, and whilst the guage may still be reading OK, after 16 years it may have stuck in this position or the spring in the guage has become weak allowing a very low pressure to give an acceptable reading. It may be OK, but my advice is to get it serviced or buy a new one.
If any of you have dry powder extinguishers, then it is advisable to give them a good shake every 6 months to prevent the powder from settling into a big lump at the bottom.
One last thing. If any of you ever have cause to use a CO2 extinguisher, then please DON`T hold the nozzle as you let it off. If you do, then you will lose the skin on that hand. CO2 is stored under pressure and exits at minus 17 degrees C.

Hope this is of help.

Piggy

Call us we wont mind.

On a serious note, my brigade offers free Home Fire Saftey Checks and a lot of others do as well give Fire HQ a call an see if you can get someone out.

I have two as well. One CO2 basically to get me to the fuse box to turn off the power and a large water extinguisher to put out the flames thereafter.

Powder Extinguisher by the door. Sink in the workshop with a pull out tap with a shower head on it and a hose hooked up outside.

I really must have a clean up in the shop and sort out all the saw dust! :oops:

I've got a powder extinguisher by the door and and the 'shop is about 5m from a long hose connected to an outside tap. I never leave anything switched on at the socket apart from the ambient air extractor and the dehumidifier, both of which run off electronic timers when the 'shop is locked - Rob

Big Fat Pig":2pir6nu7 said:
The rationale for siting appliances by the door is that by reaching the door before tackling a fire you have secured an escape route first. Premises that have appliances at locations between doors are really providing some means for people to clear a way to an escape route first and foremost, although most people believe that the appliances are there to put out a fire.
Piggy

Nah! everone knows the extingisher is put there to prop the fire door open :lol: :lol: :lol:

I could be being daft here but why is everyone concentrating on a CO2 extinguisher? I was always told by my brother (who is a fireman) Just to have a water one? Mind you he also told me to just get the f*** out of there!

I do have a water extinguisher, and an up to date insurance policy. In case of proper fire I intend to rely on the latter :)

davegw":tes8rwf0 said:
I could be being daft here but why is everyone concentrating on a CO2 extinguisher? I was always told by my brother (who is a fireman) Just to have a water one? Mind you he also told me to just get the f*** out of there!

I do have a water extinguisher, and an up to date insurance policy. In case of proper fire I intend to rely on the latter :)

You may be happy spraying water around a workshop full of tools with 240V AC running through them, but personally I'll go for something that doesn't conduct!

Water also creates a lot of smoke when put on to a fire which isn't good in an enclosed environment. Powder works well but makes a mess. C02 is a good all rounder but IIRC is more expensive.

OllyK":p2dpa1ud said:
davegw":p2dpa1ud said:

You may be happy spraying water around a workshop full of tools with 240V AC running through them, but personally I'll go for something that doesn't conduct!

Water also creates a lot of smoke when put on to a fire which isn't good in an enclosed environment. Powder works well but makes a mess. C02 is a good all rounder but IIRC is more expensive.

All of the electrics in my workshop are protected by a MasterRCD which will trip long before there is any risk of me getting a shock from the water. I also have a Master switch by the door - right next to the Extinguisher.

and if you are in an enclosed environment with a fire GET OUT what ever extinguisher you have.

I think I said a CO2 extinguisher could be useful. It is not the be all and end all, though. For a start there is no cooling effect with CO2 so it is not good at stopping re-ignition when there has been a build-up of heat.

A water extinguisher or an AFFF one would be the most effective in my opinion (and I believe I am the only fire safety professional on here but I could be quite wrong in that!).

Regarding the placement of an extinguisher by the exit door - that has got to be the wrong place UNLESS you are intending to go into the premises to fight the fire.
A quick risk assessment should tell you that as the extinguisher is only a first aid appliance it should be used if necessary in order to allow you to reach the door from within the premises so that you can get out. Therefore, the generally accepted position for an extinguisher is not by the door but further into the space where it is available to knock down a fire that is impeding escape (I am assuming a single door space here - a dead end conditon).

Your job is not to fight a fire unless it is absolutely necessary for your own safety. Putting the fire out is the job of properly trained firefighters with the necessary equipment and expertise.

As to holding the discharge horn on a CO2 extinguisher - don't! You will be frozen to it and will be holdign it for quite a while. That is why the discharge horn can be set at any angle before the unit is discahrged. If the horn flops about the extinguisher is rendered pretty useless.

Hope this helps.

SF

Thanks for this SF (I think Chems is a Firefighter btw)

I'll move my extinguisher to nearer the workspace then - thinking about it, it does make more sense.

Thanks

Dave

Yes I am one of Northamptonshire Finest,

Few funny misconceptions in here. I'll list a few:

Water on 240V the amount of water held in a fire extinguisher is so small this is never going to be a problem its not like its going to flood the whole place and your going to get a shock through the ankle high water now is it? Also as soon as you hit the machine with water your houses/workshop RCD's should break if you short it out.

The steam thing, if the fire is hot enough to produce a fair amount of steam its to late already get out stay out. Also steam isnt going to do you any damage in terms of in-direct inhalation but what will is if your breathing in fire gases given off by materials pyrolizing , and I can tell you this if its hot enough for that to be happening and your still in there your in big trouble.

I think Shadow and myself are saying the same thing, anything that will help you put out a small little fire or help you make your route of retreat is a real plus, but if it goes all pete tong dont think Ive got a fire extinguisher here and Ive seen Backdraft I can control it. Been burnt alive has got to be one of the worst ways to go.

Latest posts

Back