Fire prevention!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Brother (also a fireman) once showed me a textbook, in which was a picture of a burned room that apparently contained a number of bodies (I can't remember how many - more than 3 or 4). I couldn't identify a single one.

Which is why if there is a fire in my workshop, I'm going to let the professionals handle.

I'd much rather prevent the fire in the first place:

1) Tidy up
2) Don't leave oily rags screwed up in balls.
3) Don't smoke (easier now I've given up)

any other tips?

I'll tell you this, of all the fires Ive been to the missing factor has just simply been common sense. Like I went to someone who nearly burnt the house down because they decided to jam the tumble drier door shut because the catch was broken.

Just use your noggin and you wont have a fire, unless its some sort of electrical fault act of god say and no matter how many times you hover up it still would have happened.

Currently I'm looking for a shop that sells Round Tuits, cos that is what my son says he needs to finish a job and clear up! Now me, I was raised in the school that says the job isn't finished till you've cleared up, and I do that at the end of each session.
If you can't prevent a fire you can at least limit the amount of combustible material lying around.

Roy.

So.......there are two of us!!
Chems and I are in tune over this because we have seen what can happen and sometimes it ain't nice......but, if you are sensible and keep your workshops reasonably tidy you are not likely to have a problem.
Extinguishers are great if know how to use them which is why the good old water unit is favourite - most folks understand how to sprinkle water!. AFFF is just as easy to use and more efficient but, of course, refilling is more pricey.
Basically, if you do have a fire and it is bigger than the space taken up by your feet - leg it! And stay out! It's red lorry time.

I don't do firefighting anymore. I retired seven years ago but I still do fire safety for a living so I have to keep in touch with the technology.

Stay safe,

SF

Shadow, I've only been in a year so Im very green, but its good to see that even a in-experienced firefighter and a veteran can give the same message with out any prior collusion!

If your really worried, like I said earlier call your local Fire HQ and enquire about a Home Fire Safety Check lots of brigades do them and a watch of firefighters or one on his own will come out and look your house and anything else over and give you some sound advice.

Well I was cutting some hard rock maple,blade was a little worn,but after cutting it all up,time for a snack....went back into shop and saw smoke...whole room full...Hit the switch to open garage door,smoke went outside,I went into to find my saw`s enclosed base was smolldering,Cleaned it all out,yep got the hose for good measure gave it a blast,after swiching the power off.
I used to work with Electrical power Supply Company,we did not allow any Firefighters to throw water on any electrical fire...we would turn off the lines then let them have at it.To many got killed throwing water on electrics.No matter how sm,all it is,a lot of people got killed on neutrals.
If you see water in your basement and its covering outlates don`t be a dead hero.Save your life stay the heck away from fires.

If using either an extinguisher or hose just remember not to get close to the blaze, the blast from either can scatter the burning debris, if any, into all four corners of the shop.

Roy.

davegw":2kx5i4ai said:
Thanks Chems, for being one of Northants finests as well, I'd hate to have you visit me one day for anything other than social reasons.

Your Welcome, Its unlikely I'd come out as far your way though but one of my best mates is stationed in Wellingborough so he might!

Digit, your quite right there, the most effective way of putting out any fire is to use a spray and "pulse" (basically hit it on an off as quickly as you can so your issuing a nice floating cloud of water vapour with lots of surface area) onto the smoke issuing directly above and beside the fire, this cools the fire and once youve knocked it down a bit use a very gentle jet to just "paint" the seat of fire. Then its T time!

Back