Fire extinguishers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a dry powder, Cat A,B,C rated small ex. just by the door.

CO2 is a bad idea as far as I can see unless it is a second ex. just to deal with electrical fires as the force the CO2 is expelled will blow any burning shavings all over the place and possibly make the situation worse. Water is ok but no good for anything elec, so if you end up with a fire in your dust ex and can't reach the off switch your stuffed - put out the fire with water and possibly kill yourself or leave the workshop burn and save yourself. With the amount of kit some of you have (thinking the micro-UK stockists for LN etc among us) then perhaps a difficult decision.
Foam - ok but expensive and messy.

That really just leaves dry powder. The only real downside is it is bloody messy to clear up but if it saves the workshop then I don't mind a couple of hours with a damp cloth!

This was my thinking, I am not a trained fireman so using caveats regarding advice!

I would be interested to know what others have decided to do.

BRgds
Simon

I agree - dry powder is the way to go (not a fireman,but done several safety courses for carriage of dangerous goods - where you have to use different types,and put out real fires)
BCF (halon 1211) was the best,but has been banned now.
CO2 is worth having as well,as it is ideal for electrical (equipment) fires.
And if you have any fire extinguishers - remeber to get them checked,and always replace if they are ever used (including partially)
Read the instructions,so you know how to operate them before you need to.
And if you have CO2 ones,don't hold the trumpet when you use them - they will freeze your hand :shock:
Accidents do (and will) happen,but tidying up regularly will reduce the risks.

Andrew

I was rcommended to carry a dry powder extinguisher in my car some 40 years ago which is a mixture of flammable materials and electrics.
So when it came to the workshop I fitted a dry powder in there

Dry powder. And get them regularly serviced...

Cheers, Alf

Thinking an extinguisher that doesn't work when you need it may be worse than not having one at all. :(

Dry Powder every time, the resultant mess is a small price to pay.

I have had cause to tackle two domestic type fires, one a neighbors kitchen fire where the flames greeted me across the ceiling when I opened the door*, chip pan (totally consumed and melted in the hob well) and adjacent kitchen units well ablaze, and another under bonnet petrol fire in a garaged vehicle.

Both times a small domestic dry powder stopped it dead.

The first extinguisher, we were talked into buying by a 'Kleen Easy' man at the door in the early 60's.

The neighbors kitchen episode convinced us to acquire several more.

One ironic note, the neighbor formally complained about the mess and did not offer to replace the extinguisher.

*For those that say 'call fire brigade' this was at a time when the nearest telephone was several hundred yards away.

Roger Sinden":1tkojaae said:
Looks as if dry powder is the one.

Any recommendations as to size?

I personally go for 1 KG. and several of them. This is on the rational that if one fails due to defective pressure cartridge then you have other backups.

One larger one only gives you one chance.

EDIT:
Incidentally how many of you have a Fire Plan, both for your home and workshop.
Have you carried out a risk assessment.
How many rooms for instant have window/double glazing that can't be fully opened or broken to allow exit.

Does everybody in the household know how to use the extinguishers.
Do they know how to exit the building by alternate routes, windows etc.
Are staying guests informed of the plan.

If in doubt, get your local fire brigade to come and give you an assessment and advice, should be free.

Vormulac":17fx7b2j said:
CHJ":17fx7b2j said:
One ironic note, the neighbor formally complained about the mess and did not offer to replace the extinguisher.

:shock:

You have to be kidding. What a [censored] !!

V.
Nope, even complained that he had to go to the hospital to have his fingers dressed because he cut them and got bi-carb in the cuts cleaning the venetian blind.

We had seen what we assumed was steam coming out of their kitchen window whilst we were eating sunday lunch, when my wife got up to serve 'pudding' she said their kettle must still be boiling, I wonder it's not dry, I got up to see flames reflecting off far kitchen wall.

To this day I do not know how I cleared the fence etc. crossing the gardens, they were talking to a neighbor in the drive and started to argue with me when I shouted fire.

Just to reinforce an earlier point, CO2 extinguishers produce a high pressure blast with the result that one small fire can suddenly become several scattered small fires - they should NEVER be used on paper, or anything else that's likely to blow around.
Here's a useful link to explain extinguisher types:

http://www.fire.org.uk/x.htm

A fire blanket is a good idea to smother anything that's starting to smoulder, and not expensive. Good if flammable liquids are involved, too.

I'm no expert, but at one time I was responsible for ensuring that everyone where I was working watched a fire safety video, so I got to see it a few times. There was one very clear message - call 999 - an extinguisher MIGHT handle a small fire, but if it looks like it's getting out of control GET OUT. It was even debatable if having extinguishers around was likely to encourage people to have a go when they should get out. Okay, fine in your employer's environment, but realistically we're all going to have a go when it's our own possessions going up - just make sure you can get out before the smoke makes you unable to find the exit, and don't be the most valuable and irreplaceable casualty of the fire.

There was the story - possibly an urban myth - about a situation in the States where the fire service was in attendance, flames leaping along the ceiling while the occupants continued to watch their soap on TV,...even asking the firemen to wait until the programme had finished.

CHJ - did I see your neighbours on the TV? What was the programme? Ah yes, 'Neighbours from Hell'...you have my sympathies.

CHJ":g4b1wi2u said:
Roger Sinden":g4b1wi2u said:
Looks as if dry powder is the one.

Any recommendations as to size?

I personally go for 1 KG. and several of them. This is on the rational that if one fails due to defective pressure cartridge then you have other backups.

One larger one only gives you one chance.

Very good point that...I was going for biggest is best...not such a good idea inretrospect

cumbrian":zwr2oavo said:
...snip..
I'm no expert, but at one time I was responsible for ensuring that everyone where I was working watched a fire safety video, so I got to see it a few times. ...snip...

Likewise as a supervisor, but also because we worked with aircraft ALL staff had to attend fire extinguishing live demonstrations and were encouraged to have 'Hands On'

Seeing a young 17 year old girl having the confidence to successfully put out a 4ft square drip pan full of burning kerosine is very satisfying.

Now this is something I can talk about where I have the qualifications and experience to lean on. That sounded pompous, but is was not meant that way!!
Dry powder is great stuff. Two or more 1kg extinguishers would be good but please remember that there will be no cooling effect if the powder fails to do the job. There is no need to blast away with it . It is actually possible to extinguish a small fire by sprinkling the powder onto the flames by hand.
Co2 is good but do not hold the discharge horn or you could become frozen onto it. Again there will be no cooling effect and the fire could reignite.
AFFF is another excellent extinguishing medium which is used in place of water extinguishers in many cases now. Goes a long way and provides cooling.
Foam, as such, is not likely to have much use in a workshop as it is intended for fat or running fat fires and oil fires.
Water is still favourite as it ticks all the right boxes but make sure you can kill the electrics before you get going with it.
Wet stuff on red stuff works every time!
One extinguisher might not be enough so a second one should be available. BUT......the most important thing about using an extinguisher is that it is only a first aid device......you need to know when NOT to use it. The contents will soon run out and if the fire is anything but small you are not likely to put it out with just one device so if you need another one you should be thinking about leaving. That is often the hard part.
Always call the fire service, even if only so they can carry out a check for you. That is their job and they will be happy to ensure that there is no risk of reignition or hotspots etc.
Keep safe.

SF

Latest posts

Back