finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

router

Reaction score
I have an idea for a new type of sanding application complete with working prototype.Has anyone out there have any ideas on who i would take this to or what my best route would be to get it on the market

As long as you're sure it's a unique idea, the first thing you need to do is get yourself some protection by applying for a patent. You don't want to go showing it to prospective manufacturers until you've got at least a bit of legal protection behind you or there's nothing to stop them taking your idea and knocking out their own version. You'll aslo need to concern yourself with things like Non-Disclosure Agreements to stop other people talking about it too much.

Once you've got some legal protection in place for your idea, do a tour of the different power tool manufactures and see what they're prepared to pay for your idea (unless you're planning to start your own tool-making company).

There's a lot of work involved in taking an idea from the inital prototype to an in-the-shops product - I've a friend who's spent 10 years so far making his own far superior version of cable ties - He's still struggling along in his little factory trying to get some market penetration.

Fecn

A while ago I invented a "big betty", you put any old timber in one end, press a button and out of the other end comes a fine piece of furniture.

the front end is like a hopper, the back bit is a conveyor belt, I haven't quite sorted the middle mechanism yet. :lol:

As yet no furniture companies have shown any interest, just you wait i'll have the last laugh. :lol:

Seen one of those things - I think it was called a 'Ben Dawson' machine :wink: It sure made a lot of dust

although patents have some value, they also allow others to circumvent your idea, it may take them time, but if the product is worthwhile, they will break the patent.

the thing to do is do a patent search anyway, which i think these days you can do on the web, mainly and see what else is around that might be aligned to your product.

if you decide to patent then do not go to the companies which advertise on the tele, they WILL rip you off. so you have to think about retaining a decent patent lawyer, and it will cost some money. otherwise you need to think about meeting someone like the clockwork radio man, and use his advice to move forward, without doubt you will need to give up equity if the thing gets to market, the question is how much????

good luck

paul :wink:

engineer one":2m7zn8qo said:
you need to think about meeting someone like the clockwork radio man, and use his advice to move forward

Yes, that's Trevor Bayliss. When I was at work he came and gave a talk to our organisation. A very entertaining and politically un-correct bloke who is well worth listening to. Seemed quite keen to offer help and advice to others struggling to get their ideas out into the market place - he had a lot of problems himself getting funding for his clockwork radio and eventually had to go to South Africa for funding.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Router,
Welcome to the forum. A wide range of people from many different backgrounds 'lurk' on here so I'm sure you'll get a few ideas.

You say you have a 'working prototype' - Have you really put it through it's paces, abused it, overloaded it, dropped it, kicked it, and sat on it, and has it it performed to your satisfaction all the time.

I would endorse the 'keep away from the big boys' philiosophy, and regretably, in the world we live in, as much legal protection as possible for your idea is necessary.

And finally (To answer your specific question) why not try to find a small local engineering company who has the resources to make the bits, and start assembling a few yourself. Then get out to the local 'boot sale' and see if anyone buys them.

I can guarantee that when people see it, if there's a problem. they'll tell you about it. On the other hand, if it really is unique and does a better job than anything else you'll soon know about it too.

Good luck with your idea, it's long road you've embarked upon so don't get downhearted, just take your time and stick with it.

Latest posts

Back