Finish for outside oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Hellman

Established Member
Reaction score
I make a range of items that go out into the garden, I use oak with a lightfast stain and have tried various finishes on them. Oil no good, it washes off. Polyvine exterior varnish, big mistake I believed what they said on the bottle without testing, it peeled off within months. I now use microporus stain/varnishes such as Ronseal, but they are all sold as stains. I prefer water based finishes, and slow drying spirit based stuff is a problem in my dusty workshop.
What do you use for exterior finishes? I do not have a spray set up and would have to contract that out if a spray finish is best.

Osmo have started doing a UV proofed finish, osmo looks great on oak and I believe the do tints.

I have used Osma, outside finishes before, the one major problem is that I do not have the space or time to let them dry. They are not that bad in the heat of summer but two weeks + plus to dry in the winter is to much

I think you must be thinking of a different product, the drying times are on the Osmo website.

Completely agree with Simon, the 420 Osmo UV Protection Extra Semi-Matt is the way to go. Check out our blog to see the test we carried out before stocking it.

Woodfinish Man":1thw3mtf said:
Completely agree with Simon, the 420 Osmo UV Protection Extra Semi-Matt is the way to go. Check out our blog to see the test we carried out before stocking it.

It depends on personal preference. While I do have a lot of time for S&R, I prefer the unfinished oak sample given on the right. I find the one on the left too orange.

Latest posts

Back